Food Waste Friday | Some produce bloopers

by Kristen on February 1, 2013 · 31 comments

in Food Waste Friday

Every week, I post a picture of the food that has gone bad over the last seven days. Why do I do this? Because in March of 2008, I finally got fed up with the amount of food I was wasting, and I thought that showing my waste to other people would motivate me to use up my food instead of wasting it. Because this often embarrassing practice was so helpful for me, I invited other bloggers to join me in posting their food waste photos, and Food Waste Friday was born.

________________________________________________

These pomegranate seeds may look fine.

But there are slimy ones all mixed in there and I did not have it in me to pick through them all.

And then there’s the cantaloupe. Cantaloupes smell kind of funky, you know? So, when I buy one, I often stick it outside until we eat it, especially if the weather is cool.

But, um, the weather turned from cool to COLD and so my cantaloupe froze solid. It was seriously as hard as a bowling ball. I knew mushville was ahead if I thawed it, so I chucked it straight into the compost.
_________________________________________

How did you do this week? If you blogged about your food waste, link us up by entering your info into the widget below. You’ll save money, reduce your trash output, and get a little publicity for your blog! And if you don’t blog, you can still share about your food waste by leaving a comment.

Those of you who participate in Food Waste Friday can now grab a fancy-schmancy button to perk up your posts. If you copy and paste the following code into your Food Waste Friday post, this little graphic will appear.

FoodWasteFriday

If you blog on WordPress, just make sure you’re in html mode when you copy and paste the code, or it won’t work properly.

1 Becky February 1, 2013 at 7:29 am

I’ve had a series of really awful Food Waste weeks, so I did a bit of an overhaul last week with my menu planning, grocery shopping and refrigerator in general, and finally (finally!) had a better week! Yay!!

2 Elizabeth February 1, 2013 at 7:35 am

We lost a bag of grapes. They got left in a plastic bag overnight (my husband forgot to take the reusable bags in the car). The next morning they were slimy and smelled funny. I did save bananas though. I bought several bunches of bananas from the store. They were really inexpensive so I sliced and froze some for smoothies and made bananas breads with the rest

3 Live and Learn-Toss and Turn February 1, 2013 at 7:37 am

I only buy cantaloupe when it is in season. Do find good ones in the winter?
I had no waste this week with a concentrated effort to eat out of the refrigerator and freezer.

4 Kristen February 1, 2013 at 3:47 pm

I typically just buy it in the summer, but I found some for a really good price and couldn’t resist!

5 Lili@creativesavv February 1, 2013 at 9:54 pm

Don’t tell me, another deal at Aldi, right? I think I’m developing Aldi-envy, that hideous condition of wishing an Aldi would come out to my neck of the woods!

6 Skirnir Hamilton February 2, 2013 at 10:04 am

I used to shop Aldi’s once a month back in Wisconsin and sometimes price match at Walmart when I couldn’t make it to Aldi’s, but don’t have one here in Tennessee close enough to me. But I have heard that we may get one in this city in September this year! That would be so nice. I could better pay what I want to pay for groceries as compared to what I am doing now.

7 Economies of Kale February 1, 2013 at 7:40 am

I had a clean bench this week, but since I’ve only been home since Wednesday it doesn’t really count :) For the cantaloupe, I guess you could have chopped it up to use for smoothies, or something else where it wouldn’t matter if it was mushy (although chopping it up while frozen would be a bit of a mission!)

8 Jo@simplybeingmum February 1, 2013 at 7:56 am

Quite a good week over at mine. Just some off-cuts of puff-pastry I’m trying to decide whether to eat or not…
There’s also some buttercream, but as my daughter has a birthday tea for the Hubby tomorrow, already planned out, (a future meal-planner in the making if there ever was one!) I’m pretty sure we can whip up a cake.

9 Julie @ Kid Deals Chicago February 1, 2013 at 8:20 am

Too bad on the pomegranate seeds – I’ve been throwing those onto salads lately. Really good. And we can never seem to get through a cantalope before it goes bad here -mainly because no one likes it but me.

10 Ma February 1, 2013 at 8:42 am

Cantaloupes DO smell funky. I thought it was just me:)

11 Lili@creativesavv February 1, 2013 at 9:14 am

Too bad about the pomegranate seeds. They’re so yummy! I’ve never thought of cantaloupe as smelling bad enough to put outside. But then we don’t usually buy it unless it’s a warm weather month, and the windows are open all the time.

I’m with Economies, I wonder if you could have chopped it up to use later in smoothies, or cold melon-mint soup, or sorbet?

Anyways, some worms got a treat in the compost at least? Perhaps you could think of those little wriggly guys as pets, and you just provided them some “pet food”.

12 Tina Ray February 1, 2013 at 9:24 am

Bad week at the Ray household. 1/2 a block of cream cheese (very sad), some gravy, chicken noodle soup, and my head of lettuce and bunch of green onions froze as well so they were HIT!

13 john February 1, 2013 at 9:38 am

For this week, I waste bananas and a loaf of bread.. I forgot about the expiration date of my bread and when I was about to eat it I’ve noticed that there is already a mold on my bread.

14 Molly February 1, 2013 at 9:41 am

Ha, bloopers. What a fun word. Tee.

15 Kristen February 1, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Isn’t it??

16 Heather February 1, 2013 at 9:56 am

I had to toss some tomato paste…and I definitely need to go shopping! My poor husband’s heart beats out of his chest like an old bugs bunny cartoon when our fridge gets to a certain point!

17 Renee McD February 1, 2013 at 10:12 am

Coming from someone that doesn’t do compost but wants to – when you put a whole cantaloupe into your compost, don’t the seeds grow and/or sprout?

18 Lili@creativesavv February 1, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Renee, I would consider that a bonus, if cantaloupe sprouted in my compost. Several years ago, we were lasagna-gardening up the layers in a low spot in the yard, and an acorn squash’s seeds got dumped out there. By early summer we had about 20 acorn squash plants scrambling that part of the yard, and I picked about 30 squash that fall! I gave 2 dozen of them to our food bank.

19 AFS February 2, 2013 at 12:39 am

most fruits & vegies purchased at the grocery store are hybred varieties their seeds don’t produce the same variety that you threw in the compost. its hit or miss, sometimes you can use what grows in the compost, sometimes not.
If they do sprout where you don’t want them too just pull up the seedlings.

20 Live and Learn-Toss and Turn February 1, 2013 at 2:41 pm

The best cantaloup we ever grew came from our compost pile.

21 Candace February 1, 2013 at 11:13 am

I noticed someone already suggested something similar, but I think you could probably have made sorbet from the cantaloupe. My sister makes melon sorbet a lot, and it’s actually quite good! And yes, cantaloupe definitely has a strong, strange smell…

22 Kim February 1, 2013 at 12:03 pm

We had a few clementines at the bottom of the box that were a bit mushy and moldy.

You can use frozen cantaloupe in smoothies. My girls love “Bananaloupe” smoothies — banana, frozen cantaloupe chunks, cinnamon and soy milk. You could also use yogurt or regular milk instead of the soy milk, but one of my daughters has a milk allergy. When we buy cantaloupe in the summer, I always freeze some of the cut-up cantaloupe just for smoothies.

23 Jen February 1, 2013 at 1:05 pm

Bad produce week here, too. The bottom grapefruit in the bag went moldy–another funky smell and took the next one up along with it. And I uncovered the last of a carton of eggnog from the New Year’s revels hiding behind the big jug of maple syrup.

24 Grammomsblog February 1, 2013 at 2:44 pm

I made Chicken Vegetable Soup with my leftovers! I wrote about it on my blog……

25 Linda February 1, 2013 at 3:14 pm

Love your blog! Frozen (or mushy half-way thawed) cantaloupe makes an amazingly delicious smoothie! I learned this at Weight Watchers :) Just add a touch of milk or yogurt, a little sweetener and a bunch of ice cubes and blend. I’m not a big fan of that particular melon but it sure makes a great smoothie.

26 Skirnir Hamilton February 1, 2013 at 4:04 pm

Bad week for me. I am in a new area and have been buying marked down meats and produce, etc. But I keep forgetting that when I thaw marked down meats, I want it to not sit in the refrigerator long at all. I wasted a pound of chicken breasts. Pulled it out to use for my planned dinner and it smelled quite bad. Didn’t want to make my family sick. I have been somewhat planning my meals, but thawing early in the week for cooking later in the week. Need to stop doing that. Did make some Apple eggnog bread with some left over eggnog, but need to make more before the eggnog goes. Loved it by the way!

27 Hannah February 2, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Frozen cantaloupe is really good blended up in a smoothie (add other fruit too of course). You should try it next time your cantaloupe freezes.

28 sarah@everydaylifeonashoestring February 3, 2013 at 10:13 am

Nothing as big as a melon was wasted here this week – just a half tomato…

29 Paul Anderson February 4, 2013 at 5:11 am

Most of the pomegranate seeds look good. Too late now, but you could have spread them on a plate and picked off the bad ones. I feel bad because they are really good for increasing the blood count and are known to be good for digestion.

30 WilliamB February 4, 2013 at 10:37 am

I finally bit the bullet and ditched the 3c. of braised pork that never tasted right.

31 Darlene February 10, 2013 at 3:11 pm

This is my first here — love your focus!
Frozen Cantaloupe? I do that every year with leftovers from the garden … the ripest are the sweetest. Peel, cube, freeze … and enjoy is smoothies all winter. We also enjoy this with a few blueberries or strawberries etc. Hopefully there’s enough to last into the next summer for more cantaloupe “ice cream” smoothies to keep us cool.