A Goodwill jewelry storage solution

You know how I’m on a crusade to own the right amount of stuff at my house? And how I think the right amount of stuff is the amount you can use regularly?

Well, several months ago, I decided that I really wasn’t using my jewelry very well…wearing the same necklace and earrings pretty much every single day, even though I do own more than one pair of earrings and one necklace.

So, I dumped the entire contents of my jewelry box onto the top of my dresser.

And I left all of it there for a good couple of weeks.

Know what I discovered? When I can easily SEE all of my jewelry, I wear it more often.

Consequently, I decided that I didn’t really need to get rid of my jewelry, but that I needed to figure out something besides jewelry box drawers for at least some of my jewelry.

Around that time, I came across this thing at Goodwill.

I’m not exactly sure what it was meant to be originally, but I immediately thought it would make a great jewelry organizer.

So, I brought it home and made room for it in one of my dresser drawers.

I put most of my everyday earrings in it, plus a few of my bracelets (I left my few pairs of stud earrings in the jewelry box.)

And I’m pleased to report that it is working out fabulously. I switch up my earrings waaay more often than I used to because I can easily see everything in one quick glance.

Sweet.

Now, I just need to find a wall hanger for my necklaces, and I’ll be all set. I’ve been faithfully keeping an eye out for one like I painted for Lisey and Sonia, but nothing has shown up at Goodwill yet except some terribly cheesy 1990s country-style stuff.

And since this is going to be hanging on my bedroom wall, I would prefer for it not to have ducks and hearts and rounded edges, thank you very much.

So, I might break down and hop on over to Home Depot or Target to see what I can scare up.

Oh, and speaking of necklace hangers, check out what I did for Zoe.

She got this fish hanger years ago, but it never worked very well for hanging up things like PJs because there was only one piece that secured it to the wall, and it was smack dab in the middle, which means that if you hung something on the left or right knob, the whole thing went lopsided.

I’m thinking maybe it was just supposed to be decorative or something?

Anyway, I screwed two wall hangers into the back, one on the left, and one on the right, so now it stays put.

And it’s perfect for holding her necklaces.

Now all of the girls in the house have snazzy necklace holders except for me, and I’m feeling left out. I seriously need to get me one of those.

_______________________________

Joshua’s 365 post: Ugh…

Comments

1. Gail says

Cute. I fondly remember Zoe’s pearls.
    Thank you for finding time to write so we can enjoy and benefit. You are like an old friend.
    I also am trying to have the right amount of things, clothes included. I have no jewelry except my wedding band, though. My problem is stopping thinking about the process of reduction. It feels so great to find new homes for unused items; also,it feels so good having less in my own home.

2. Nicole says

I put some 3M hooks in my closet on the wall to hold necklaces – it works great for me, and I can pull the stretchy off and move them if I ever need to.

3. Liz says

You could always keep an eye out for a plain wooden clothes-hanging mechanism at one of the stores you mentioned. The type I am thinking of has posts at intervals to hang items on.

I purchased a plain wooden board from a craft shop – the kind that has the decorative edges and people use to do decoupage and other things. Then I painted it and put in some mug hooks and hung it on the wall with ribbon. Works great.

• Renee says

For necklaces you could just use push pins in wood if it doesn’t need to be pretty. Clear ones don’t look too bad though.

5. jenelle says

I found that hanging a men’s tie rack (the wooden kind with pegs) on the wall in my closet keeps my necklaces organized and in sight!

6. WilliamB says

For her jewelry, my mother used to use plastic tackle/hardware boxes lined with jewelry box cotton. Then she found the jewelry trays at The Container Store and never looked back. (It seems that there’s a genetic component to Container Store Addiction Syndrome.)

I don’t wear many necklaces, but I do wear bracelets everyday. To keep mine tidy and in sight, I use a crystal cracker dish (long and narrow) on my dresser top. Many of us have been given lovely things, dishes, trays, etc., that mostly sit unused in a cabinet. I like to use them in the bedroom and bath. I have another crystal dish (this one divided, like for pickles) that I keep my daily make-up in. My thinking is, pretty things shouldn’t be only used for “special occasions”.

I’m surprised you haven’t made one for yourself. I never find anything good to hold jewelry. Paint a board and put small hooks should be easy enough. I’m moving soon and going to make one for a bedroom art project. To me, useful art is the best.

9. Maryhomemama says

Love your new find/idea. It is true that we wear things we can see, not the hidden treasures in our closets and drawers. Just a thought, I didn’t care for the look of my many necklaces hanging on my bedroom wall…too much eye clutter for me…so I nailed various picture hanging hooks and nails inside my walk-in closet and hung each of them in there. They are all visible when I need to pick something but I don’t have to deal with the visual busy-ness every day.

10. Roxy Pittman says

I made my neclace hanger by just having a thin price of wood that I painted and screwed several decorative cabnit nobs into. It is unique and very artsy looking I love it because I could also determine how many nobs I wanted to hang all my necklaces on.

11. Marthalynn says

I, too, am searching for the right jewelry display option. If I don’t see it, I won’t wear it. A friend of mine used an old frame to which she stapled a small piece of screen and it displays all of her earrings. It looks so cute!

12. Michelle says

Like other people have said, you could totally make a necklace hanger for yourself! (My husband made me one, and my teen-aged son made one for our daughter.) Take a length of wood trim (not too decorative, just something with nice edges) and varnish or paint it. We got tiny brass nails (I don’t remember if we got them at a craft store or Home Depot) and pounded them in halfway.

I don’t wear my necklaces much either, but that’s because I used to work as a school receptionist and now I work in a warehouse.

13. Linda H. says

I keep my earrings in a styrofoam egg carton with the lid cut off. It fits right into a dresser drawer and keeps everything visible and organized. And it was free! I too made my own necklace holder. I sanded and painted an old piece of scrap wood and got some decorative knobs at Hobby Lobby. I love how it looks.

14. Jennifer says

I bought the same exact thing at a thrift store! I’m using mine in my sewing area to display some of my late grandma’s wooden spools of thread. I wonder what they were?

About a year ago I finally sorted through my jewellery and got rid of all the cheap/tacky things I’d been hoarding since middle and high school. What was left could be organized in a jewellery box and a few shot glasses/tea light votives so my long beaded necklaces didn’t inter-tangle, and I can easily see all my options. It is so true that seeing what you have (when you love it) makes it so much easier to use!

16. Ann S. says

I’ve toyed with the idea of using a shadow box to display my necklaces – one with either a hinge opening or just remove the glass. Add hooks/nails at the top for hanging and some fabric on the back and you’re good to go!

That’s a really good idea. I realised the same thing, that I wasn’t wearing half my jewellery so now I make myself wear a different piece each time I put together an outfit (that doesn’t include jogging bottoms or going to the supermarket!)

18. Amanda says

Target has a nice $10 key hook, a decorative wooden block with 4 hooks on it. I’ve been using one of those for my necklaces for years. And, the nice thing is they come in a few colors and have other matching hardware. So, I also have the matching coat rack in my bedroom to decoratively hang all my scarves I use :)

A great idea to display your jewelry on the wall is to frame a bulletin board. You can spray paint both the frame and the cork any colors you want. Then get some cute push pins to use, and voila! Perfectly customized just for you. You can get one as big or small as you like.

20. Rachel says

I use my husband’s tie rack for my necklaces too. Half ties/half necklaces. I like your idea of putting your jewelry where you can see it. I hardly ever wear jewelry, but when I do open my jewelry box I think, “Oh, I forgot about these…”

That’s funny about the 90’s country stuff! It reminded me of when I was younger and my mom decorated the living room with hearts and geese with ribbons on their necks and even little amish-type dolls… :)

• Gail says

A friend once covered a muffin tin with pretty Contact Paper or some such for jewelry storing.
      Alyssa–your post made me smile, remembering my clear-out 5 years ago when, at age 61, I finally got rid of my spelling bee medal and student council pins! I used to wonder how a robber would feel looking in the jewelry box after all the work of breaking and entering!

21. Mona says

I think it is a special skill to be able to see something that is plain and come up with a unique use for it. I wish I were more creative.

22. Jessica says

I saw this one online a while back and it looked really easy.

You could paint the box part black and the fabric could be a light color to highlight the jewelry. A friend of mine did something like this and had three of them hanging in her walk-in closet. I don’t have a walk-in but I think I would still like to do something like this. Good luck!

23. SandyH says

I agree that this would be so easy to make, the wood from Hobby Lobby, spray paint, and add drawer pull knobs! I also have no idea what all i have in the way of jewelry pieces; not being a jewelry person other than my wedding ring set, small silver necklace and watch. And SOMETIMES earrings. But maybe this will get me to wear it more too!

Looks lovely. I’ve realized, over time, that if I can’t see something, it pretty much doesn’t exist for me. As evidence of this, when I finally opened my desk drawer, I found a half eaten package of Sweet Tarts. I love Sweet Tarts! They’ve been sitting one foot from where I spend 10 hours a day, and yet I hadn’t eaten them in…months. That’s what drawers are to me. Even the promise of sugar can’t compensate for the lack of brain space I devote to anything behind a closed door. So, what to do? I’ve given myself permission to have a messy desk, as otherwise I’ll forget about projects. The walk-in closet is key, because I can see stuff, and I’m trying to pare down so I only have the amount of stuff I can visibly display.

• Kristen says

Interestingly enough, my inbox is like this. If I let it get piled up, I don’t see the older emails, I totally forget about them, and then I drop the ball on things I’m supposed to get done.

I have to keep it pared down so I can see what I need to see.

The more pressing issue is, did you eat the Sweet Tarts???

25. janknitz says

Look for a key hanger at thrift stores. I see them all the time. These are plaques with hooks (some are made of metal, mine is a lovely ceramic tile) with hooks for hanging extra keys. Some are very utilitarian and some are beautiful. I use mine to hang my measuring cups in the kitchen, but it would be great for necklaces, too.

26. KT says

I felt that I was not making the best use of the drawer in my nightstand. At the same time I was trying to find the “perfect” storage solution for watches in the shape of cuff bracelets. They presented a storage nightmare. Then I killed 2 birds with one stone! My husband works with wood and made my entire drawer, storage that looks like your fourth photo. He measured the drawer and cut slats of wood that interlocked, making individual cubicles. Problem solved for all my watches and some bracelets.

27. KT says

Another jewelry solution that worked for me…..
    My wedding ring is probably the only piece of “good jewelry” that I own. However, when I worked, I had nice sets of good costume jewelry that I wore. These sets included earrings, necklaces, bracelets, and sometimes even a matching watch. Talk about a storage nightmare! Solution: I bought quart size Ziploc bags and placed each set in a bag. Then I placed the bags in a dresser drawer, lined up behind each other like file folders. When dressing, it was easy to to find the set I wanted. Also, when traveling, I pulled the bags I wanted and placed all of them in a gallon size Ziploc bag before placing in my suitcase. This is not a solution to have all jewelry in full view, but it did solve a big problem for me and perhaps someone else can benefit from it.

28. Terri B. says

Great post, when it comes to racks in particular it’s fun to be creative.
    For a while, I was using some coat hangers that I had bent along with a piece of wood as a coat rack. You can always be creative when it comes to racks such as this.

29. DJ Pruitt says

For my jewelery I have used what I think is either a belt or tie rack for years. It attaches to the wall behind my bedroom door. If the door is open it can’t be seen but if the door is closed all your hanging jewelry (necklaces and such) are visible for selection.

30. DawnF says

Hi Kristen!

Have you seen how people are using small tree branches (mounted on a block of wood or sitting in a narrow vase) to display their necklaces? I have seen it on Pinterest and a few other places online. It’s just a simple, small tree branch (prune down to appropriate size) and then hang your necklaces on it in random places on the limbs. I have also seen little necklace “trees” made out of square dowels. Perhaps you have already found a necklace storage solution, but if not I wanted to throw out those ideas.

Hope you are having a super weekend!

31. Michelle says

I used an old Rake head. Just detached it from the handle, spray painted black, added a pretty ribbon and BAM! Looks awesome and cost like 2 bucks. I found the rake at a thriftyish store that had a bunch of yard tools. At the same store, I found an old turquoise ironing board, the metal kind with the holes, leaned it against the wall and it holds all of my earrings with the “Fish hook” thingys. :)