This is Bob (and not the lizard sort of Bob.)

by Kristen on January 17, 2013 · 15 comments

in Gardening

Not everyone names their celery plants, but my girls do.

He lives in the girls’ room most of the time, since theirs has the most sun, but on cloudy days, we sometimes give him a bit of flourescent light. ;)

Our last attempt at celery growing went downhill once we put the plant in dirt instead of water, but we decided to give it a try once more.

Hopefully Bob will have a long and happy life.

Until we eat him.

__________________________

Joshua’s 365 post: An Origami Hedgehog

1 Linda in Mass January 17, 2013 at 8:52 am

I did this too with my celery. It was growing so well and then just died one day. When I tried to pick it up from the water, I noticed that it was all rotten from being in the water. I was going to try to put it in dirt instead of just in the water. I loved seeing it grow from a part that I would have composed. I will try it again with the dirt after the roots come out. Good luck.

2 Malika January 17, 2013 at 9:58 am

HI, Just wanted to say that I love your blog. I get so many ideas that I acutally incorporate from you. Anyway, just wanted to say that I had success planting a celery directly into the dirt. I know some plants don’t do well with transition. I’m not true if this is true with celery or not, but just a thought.

3 Kristen January 17, 2013 at 4:20 pm

This is good to know! I’ll try it next time around.

4 Andrea January 17, 2013 at 9:04 am

I love it!

5 Lili@creativesavv January 17, 2013 at 9:23 am

How fun! I haven’t tried this with celery, but about this time of year my garlic all begins to sprout, so I put several cloves in a pot of soil. I trim the greens all spring for cooking, and then in late spring, I transfer them to the garden.

In winter, it’s just so nice to be connected to the garden again.

6 Joyce January 17, 2013 at 9:58 am

Kristen, I was just wondering why recently I am unable to view Joshua’s 365 pictures. I can see yours fine, but not his. There is an X where the picture is. I do have a “smart filter” on my work computer, but your pictures still show up. Any ideas?

7 Kristen January 17, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Well, ever since the new Wordpress software came out, something is wonky with Joshua’s blog and he can’t upload photos. I haven’t had time to fix it yet, so he’s uploading photos to Flickr and copying and pasting the html from there.

Fortunately, I haven’t upgraded my wordpress software yet, so I’m still able to upload photos.

So, your filter is probably blocking Flickr. Is there a way to make it allow certain sites?

8 Becky January 17, 2013 at 12:33 pm

I’ve never seen this done with celery either, but I’ll have to give it a whirl now! (it’s always fun to try growing stuff, isn’t it?!)

And, Bob? – that’s too funny! (My sister and I, as young girls, used to call a lot of inanimate things ‘Bob’ too :-)

9 Cheapchick January 17, 2013 at 1:54 pm

My celery was fine until I planted it in the dirt too, then it just died. I have two green onion bottoms in water right now in the windowsill trying to get them to regenerate. This time I left three inches of onion on the top portion and just used the ends for salad last night. Fingers crossed it will work this time.

10 Kristen January 17, 2013 at 2:21 pm

Yep, same story here. I wonder if mine didn’t have enough roots developed yet or something?

11 shari January 17, 2013 at 2:57 pm

I have two of these in my kitchen window now and some potted in dirt! I had a couple of celery failures over the summer and I think my problem was over-watering and poor drainage. I change the water the celery is in every couple of days. The roots take a while to grow sometimes. Last time I waited until I had some really good roots (and this time it was celery from a local farm that came into the food bank, so the bottom was kind of knobbly and not smooth like the stuff that comes from the grocery store–we cut the celery and bag it, so I got to take the ends home). I planted it in a pot with better drainage and it’s living in my bedroom window. I do not water it too often and so far, so good! I have been snipping some off to use in tuna and in various other things. Someone mentioned scallions–I just cut them, leaving about an inch above the root and I stick them directly in dirt. They just keep growing and growing and I snip them off as needed.

12 Amanda Yoder January 17, 2013 at 4:40 pm

will you do a post on how to grow your own celery? I had no idea you could! Given that it’s high pesticide if not organic, this would be very fun/money saving

13 Economies of Kale January 17, 2013 at 7:36 pm

I keep meaning to try this with celery, thanks for the reminder :) Do you have to put it in soil or will it grow enough just in water?

Oh, and my sister and I used to call a lot of things Bob-Fred when we were kids :)

14 Mikki January 23, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Check your plants roots before you try to put them in soil. If the roots are smooth they won’t survive being transplanted into soil. The roots need to have little hairs on them (or nubs that can become root hairs quickly) to survive in soil. Hydroponically grown plans have totally smooth roots mainly because they don’t have to work to get their water, they are bathed it in.

If you’re going to transplant cuttings like the green onion or celery your best bet is to get it into the soil within a few days rather then letting it sit in water for a long time. Leaving it sitting in water it will either develope hydroponic type roots or it will use up all the available nutrients and die.

15 Kristen January 23, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Ooh, that is so very helpful to know…thank you! And that definitely explains my problems with putting celery into soil before.