Something I’m excited about!

The people at Aldi emailed me last week to tell me about their new line of organic, natural products, and offered to send me a gift certificate so that I could go give them a try.

But I was way too impatient to wait for that to arrive, so I marched myself out to Aldi and bought myself some Simply Nature goodies.

This is veddy fabulous, peoples.

Raw milk organic cheddar cheese?

Organic, fair trade dark chocolate?

At Aldi??

Yes, please.

Organic olive oil, organic spinach, organic tomato sauce, organic butter, organic shredded wheat…all at great Aldi prices.

This is very happy stuff.

(in non-organic news, my Aldi had blackberries this week, and they pair quite nicely with the organic shredded wheat cereal.)

I’m not sure exactly how long Aldi will carry this line, but I do know that when they decide what core products to carry, they consider what is flying off the shelves and what is not.

So, if you’re excited about Aldi carrying organic products and you want to see more of them (I do!), go put some Simply Nature stuff in your cart.

_________________________________

Guess what? Lisey and I have a new recipe up. We kind of took an inadvertent break from her blog over the holidays, but we’re back up and running now!

__________________________________

Joshua’s 365 post: Ya Know What?

Comments

1. Elizabeth says

I was excited just to see the organic cereal last week– I had no idea they’d have cheese and other things as well! How much is the cheese? The spinach? I’m going to have to make a special trip out there tomorrow just to check out everything!

• Kristen says

I’m not sure if prices vary at all from region to region, but the spinach was $2.49, the cheese was $3.49, the butter is $3.49, and the tomato sauce is $1.99.

2. Maureen says

I was at my Aldi last Friday night and it was horrible — they didn’t even have 1 grapefruit. And every bag of oranges had a rotten one in it. And all the egg cartons were picked over so all that was left were had broken eggs in them. The people that shop at my Aldi are not very considerate to the others that shop there and could care less about what they do to the products. It’s very sad.

And on that note, I did not see any of the organic stuff just yet.

• Kristen says

I’m so sorry to hear that. If your store has consistent problems, I’d definitely write to corporate to let them know.

• Maureen says

Kristen, unfortunately, there aren’t many employees at this store and they have all they can do to cash the people out and tidy as much as they can within the hours they work. The employees are great and I have nothing against them. This store is always hiring, but nobody wants to work, which is sad.

• Sarah says

That’s great! I’ve read that apples have more pesticides on them than any other produce, so they’re one of the best things to buy organic. And I do believe they taste better, too!

What awesome news :) I really hope we get these products in Australia too, especially the organic cheese, because I haven’t been able to find organic cheese that I can afford anywhere. Aldi is already my go-to place for organic butter because it’s half the price of the other supermarkets here.

Okay the picture of the chocolate bar alone makes me want to run to Aldi right now!! I love Aldi but the more and more I learn about the benefits of organic the less and less products I buy there. It will be great to get organics for less. So yes I will for sure do my part and make the products fly off their shelves. Starting by sharing this article to my facebook page for all my organic loving friends to see.

I’m on the west coast of the US, and so far no Aldi in our area. What we have here, with decent prices on organics is Trader Joe’s. It would be interesting to compare the prices. Are there Trader Joes out east?

• Kristen says

Yep, TJs are out east too. They’ve got pretty good prices, and they do carry a lot more in the way all-natural and organic foods than Aldi does.

• Kimberly says

I’m in AZ and Frys grocery stores have started carrying a private label organic line as well. Judging by the photos they are probably the same product that Aldi is carrying. It is called Simple Truth Organic here and the prices are all very reasonable.

• VerandaFiles says

Both Aldi and Trader Joe’s are owned by the German Albrecht Brothers. I left Germany over 20 years ago and was thrilled when Aldi stores opened in my area a few years ago. Memories of home!

6. Terri S. says

I live in Tn. and the prices for several of the organics are included in the online add for Jan. 9. I am so glad to see this

7. Battra92 says

Looks like Aldi wants to move into Trader Joes territory (which I hope they don’t pick up the clientele of the local TJ.

This is kind of a linguistic thing but what’s the opposite of organic food? Inorganic food? Wouldn’t that be a rock? :P Though salt is a rock and is something of a food so organic food that has salt isn’t totally organic. ;) Yep, I’m nitpicking.

By the way, isn’t raw milk cheese technically illegal in the US? Cheddar is an older aged cheese so maybe that slips by due to its age.

Still, I really don’t get why people go so crazy for raw milk. People forget that in the old days tainted milk (yep, even from the farmer down the road) was a very real thing and many children died (and still do) thanks to E-Coli, Listeria, Campyolobacter etc. plus if you get milk from a local dairy that doesn’t UHT nuke their milk, it’s just fine. If you do get raw milk, I’d still pasteurize it at home (145F for at least half an hour)

• Ingrid says

O dear, I just have to jump in on this one! Raw milk is only illegal in some US states, go figure. It’s no worse than raw chicken for killing people and you just have to use your head and some cleanliness all around. The fear-mongering is working nicely for the milk monopoly thing – it’s called “control” and it’s great when you have it. Translates into money and power. So go and google some benefits of raw milk. My Dad supplied our entire village in Germany with raw milk even back in the 1960s without any ill effects. Why, even I’m still alive! :)

• Battra92 says

I have relatives and friends on a farm and let me tell you, there is no such thing as a spotless dairy farm. There’s too many variables involved and my chances are much better with Louis Pasteur and Nicolas Appert on my side.

As for the benefits of Raw Milk, well the Vitamin C is killed off, yes. But milk is a poor source of Vitamin C anyway. Other probiotics can be found in other sources, like yogurt which can be made from pasteurized milk.

Also, the local hippies sell raw milk for several dollars more a gallon than the grocery store does. I’m not sure how this a money and power to the big people. :-/

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not opposed to the idea. I eat unpasteurized eggs in things like homemade ice cream from time to time and have no issue with that but the chances of tainted milk are much higher than that of eggs because milk all gets put in a huge container and bacteria spreads and breeds (eggs can be contained to one or two.)

• says

I’ve been lactose intolerant for years, and I recently started buying local, low-temp pasteurized milk from our Farmer’s Market (more for the kids than for myself). And I can tolerate it!

• Lindsey says

Yes, I am still alive, too. But just, after spending 10 days in the hospital, some of it in intensive care, due to listeria from raw milk—all because I somehow thought my ill-informed, unscientific feelings trumped science. It is not all about profit or big business.

What happens in the US tends to happen in the UK (Eventually) – I wait with bated breath!
    Great to see you Guys can get your hands on cheddar cheese over there! Whenever we go overseas and I cook one of my dishes, I struggle to get hold of it unless it’s imported – and then it’s very expensive!

• Battra92 says

We in New England not only get cheddar but we get really GOOD cheddar. I’ve had good UK cheddar and Cabot American cheddar and I’ll take either one with a smile.

9. Ann S. says

I saw a mention to this in the ad last week! I am (dare I say) excited to go grocery shopping later this week to see what all I can find!

Btw, I have to tell you my Aldi story – when you wrote about going to corporate a couple months ago, I went to the Aldi site to find the store closest to me. I knew one wasn’t very close by, but I figured maybe I could make a trip once a month or so. Well, imagine my surprise when I saw that a NEW Aldi had just opened 15 minutes away from me! I have happily been going ever since, and love trying all their products!

10. Adrienne says

I am so excited about this! Any word on things like grass fed beef? I’m actually much more interested in higher quality meat than in organic foods. Aldi – I’ll be willing to pay more! I’m sure it will still be less than whole foods…

• namastemama says

I wouldn’t hold my breath. I don’t believe the average Aldi shopper is going to pay $5 lb.and up for grass fed beef . Just find a local source and buy directly from the farmer.

I was so excited to see these products at Aldi! I typically shop at Aldi and Trader Joe’s, but if I could save myself the hike to Trader Joe’s as often, that would be wonderful.

I did also buy the cheese (because if no one buys it, they won’t continue to stock it) and it was quite good. Not sure if it’s $3.50 good, but I don’t mind spending that much for an occasional splurge. I will add that many of the prices were not much higher than Aldi staples. Juice was pretty much the same. And the frozen fruit was comparable to Trader Joe’s prices.

12. Susan says

just curious, do you buy organic everything? how much extra do you allot in your grocery budget for organic foods?

• Kristen says

Nope, I don’t buy organic everything. I buy it here and there when I can find it at affordable prices, though. I do buy local beef and local organic chicken, though.

During the warmer months, I tend to choose local produce over organic.

13. Katy says

I bought several of the organic products on my latest trip to Aldi, but I didn’t see many of the items you got. I’m hoping I’ll see the organic butter and spinach soon. It would be great if they carried more fresh organic produce. I’d love to see organic apples like one of the previous commenters got.
    As for Aldi and Trader Joe’s, I believe they are actually owned by the same company.

So. Funny story. I was shopping at Aldi this morning and was overjoyed to see some organic produce. (Mine clearly doesn’t carry all the items yet.) I snapped it right up and said to myself, “I wonder if Kristen knows about this. I should tell her!” And, lo and behold, you do! In hindsight, though, of course you do. :-P

15. Heather Anne says

I am so super thrilled about this new line. I can not wait to get into Aldi’s to check it out and help the products fly off the shelves! :) Wonderful news!

16. Sharon Berg says

I am glad that you decided to test and let us know about these products. I recently received an Aldi flyer that was advertising the new organic products and was wondering how long they had been offering them and if they were any good. As usual, your blog was right on time!

I don’t tend to go to Aldi, but I’ll have to stop by and see what they are offering. It would be nice to have a good source for organic foods. Since the sale of raw milk is not legal in Michigan, I don’t know if the cheese will be in my store or not. I guess I’ll just have to see! :)

18. sara says

“Raw-milk cheese is made with milk that is unpasteurized. Since 1949, the US government has forbidden the sale of cheeses made from unpasteurized milk unless the cheese is aged at least 60 days. The 60-day ban is meant to protect consumers from potentially harmful pathogens. After 60 days, the acids and salts in raw-milk cheese naturally prevent listeria, salmonella, and E. coli from growing. ”
    found doing an internet serach

19. Jen W. says

I just went and bought the new shredded wheats and cheerios yesterday–the former for myself and the latter for my toddler. This morning when I looked more closely I noticed that the box of shredded wheats doesn’t say they’re organic but the box of cheerios does. I’m more concerned for my daughter than myself so it’s okay, but I’m just wondering if your box says organic. Maybe we have different products because of region?

20. Kimberly says

Hello Kristen,

I stumbled upon the simply nature brand at Aldi’s this past weekend. A delightful surprise to say the least. I tried the Italian chicken sausage. It was a great value and good tasting (I cooked it on the grill).

Cheers!