Right now, I am…

-wishing that I could share a post with you about my new vacuum. The post is all written, but it needs some pictures. And I keep forgetting to take pictures before that darn sun sets every day. I will remember today!

-looking forward to the days getting longer, if only because there are more hours of photograph-worthy light. At least the shortest day is already behind us, and there are lighter days to look forward to.

-thinking about this New York Times article on busyness.

-and this one that Michael Pollan tweeted, about gut health (uh, the digestive gut.)

-related to the busyness article, hoping that we’ve created a life for our children where they have enough free, unstructured time. I think we have, and I don’t think I’ll wish I’d done that differently.

-remembering I need to ship a book that I sold on half.com.

-glad that I have plenty of saved cushioned shipping envelopes. I never have to buy anything except packing tape when I sell things online.

-appreciating that half.com lets you print a media mail shipping label right from home, because I hate standing in post office waiting lines.

(actually, I sort of hate standing in line waiting anywhere.)

-thinking of making a green smoothie for breakfast.

-feeling pretty amazed by this series of photos, all of a dead tree. I don’t do much landscape photography, so I am very awed by people who are good at it.

-glad my muscle soreness is a better today. I took several fitness classes last week that were apparently a bit challenging for my muscles (the punching in martial arts classes makes it really painful to wipe counters the next day, just so you know.)

-smiling, thinking about Zoe playing the piano. She’s been dying to start, and I promised her that she could after Christmas. She can hardly wipe the grin off her face while she practices.

-relieved that dinner is mostly made. I have a batch of BBQ beef in the fridge, and I just need to bake some buns and roast some broccoli.

-pleased that I got a whole month’s worth of main dishes planned at the beginning of January. It was a fair amount of work to get it done, but it’s made the rest of the month a lot easier so far and I think I might try this again in February.

-planning my day. I have a to-do list written out, and that bodes well. I get so much more done when I have a plan!

____________________________________

How ’bout you?

Comments

I read the article about gut health this week as well and thought it was a very interesting read.

Right now I am:
    Grateful for the cool(ish) change, since we don’t have air conditioning.

Also feeling sore from exercise (keeping up those resolutions!)

Pleased with the curry we made up for dinner tonight (banana, zucchini and mango – weird combination but tasty)

In the middle of preserving summer fruits – so far have made mango chutney, plum jam and watermelon slushies. I still have 1kg of plums to turn into something.

2. Pam says

I too planned my meals for the month of January. It’s just my hubby/me but I got tired of figuring out what’s for dinner. It was a lot of work doing the shopping but it’s SO nice to know that I really won’t need to go back to the store for the rest of the month. And I know what’s for dinner every night!

3. Tina Ray says

I do my meal plans for two weeks (that is our pay period). I don’t know how I ever managed to get grocery shopping done without meal planning. I did watch a show on HGTV called “Clean Freaks”. It was all about organization. So many great ideas so I started a schedule to DVR it. My husband was nice to point out that there isn’t one schedule in the near future and the one I watched was from 2011 :( I got so many good ideas from that one show I wanted to watch more.

• Karen. says

Sounds right up my alley! If you’ve got good Internet service, it looks like there are some clips available on hgtv.com.

• Tina Ray says

Thanks Karen! Wouldn’t you know it wouldn’t be a regularly run show any longer. It seems like my favorites always get discontinued. My mascara from Maybelline is probably the one that makes me the most sad.

4. Molly says

Boggled that it was 50 on Saturday and 9 today. This is our first day of single-digit temps.
    Wondering who all these talkative people are in my office.
    Missing my husband – his work schedule is quite long right now – he leaves before I get up and comes home after I’m in bed. The kitties miss him, too.
    So proud of him for working so hard for so long to get his degrees.
    SO happy we’re not in debt for those.
    Researching adult-onset food allergies.
    Very pleased with my homemade crispy thin crust pizza.

5. Terri S. says

Looking forward to longer days. It was 70 degrees here Friday!!! Needless to say there was a lot of bike riding going on.

I’m definitely looking forward to longer days. It’s quite dark out when I take a walk before getting started for the day.

My dinner is not at all made, as Mondays are my day to get a good share of the work done for the week (I don’t have obligations, appts, paid work, or volunteer work on Mondays).

Wonderful that Zoe is so excited about learning to play the piano. I love seeing my kids excited to try something new.

7. Hazel says

Love the NY Times article. I’ve been saying the same thing, and I think it’s perpetuated by advertising- everybody is so busy that they must need to buy X product. Magazines say that you must be too busy to cook from scratch, so here are lots of shortcuts you can make once you’re bought all these processed foods. It’s as though there’s something wrong if you’re not permanently rushed off your feet.
    My favourite line is ‘More and more people in this country no longer make or do anything tangible; if your job wasn’t performed by a cat or a boa constrictor in a Richard Scarry book I’m not sure I believe it’s necessary.’
    Brilliant!

• Lisa says

I was going to quote that very same line – it is brilliant, and a very good article too! I have recently taken a career break and get asked all the time, ‘so what do you do all day’ and ‘are you not bored’. I am definitely not bored and I am enjoying my time off – I’m making Kristen’s yogurt, cooking from scratch, reading a ton of books, taking long hikes with the dog, getting decent sleep for the first time in years, and trying not to be so busy. Some say I am wasting my education and setting back my career, but I am trying to not let them suck me into that thinking again (although it is hard).

Right now I am changing all the plans I made for the day ahead, as not one, not two, but all three of my Little Ones are under the weather/sick :-(

Looks like a day of snuggling of the couch, reading books, and making smoothies will be my new plan of action!

9. Kate Deals says

I love the article on busyness. I like not to be overscheduled, but don’t know any one else that feels the same way. I’m sure your kids are and will continue to be grateful that home schooling gives them so much free time and so little wasted time. My child is in their last year of high school and sometimes I lament the amount of wasted time on school work: when they make them memorize things for reguritation instead of demonstrating understanding and other things along those lines.

10. Stephanie says

I plan my meals a month in advance too – it really has made things so much easier – I find that I’m not scrambling to make things from scratch because I’ve listed on the weekends what things I might need to bake or make coming up.

some of the best times this weekend I noticed with my kids was unstructured playtime that they had together. Sometimes I feel bad not scheduling a playdate or having more to do but then I remember how much they like playing together during that free time.

11. Renee CA says

Sounds like all your stars are aligned, or mostly so. Isn’t it wonderful when that happens. Must sit down with a pencil and paper this morning and organize my busy week.

• Kristen says

Well, kind of. The “right now” lists I make are intentionally positive, because if there’s one thing I know, it’s that dwelling on the negative stuff is generally an unproductive thing to do.

So, I could have thought of a nice little pile of unhappy things to put on my list, but I’m choosing not to. : )

I just didn’t want you to think that everything is perfect in my little corner of the world!

Right now I am heading out the door to go get a flu shot… really I am… God, I HATE shots! I totally have myself convinced that I’m at more risk of getting sick by getting the shot, because I have to go to the doctor’s office where the sick people are in order to get it. You see the level of my needle paranoia? Wish me luck…

13. DawnF says

Right now, I am…

* enjoying cooler temps in south Texas
    * smiling because my sweet boy brought home an All-A report card
    * thinking ahead to the weekend because I want to complete some scrapbook pages in the birthday album and the sports album
    * rejoicing that God is good all of the time ~ even in the difficult times
    * listening to some lovely jazz music

*Warning* This is not going to be all positive.

Right now I am worried about my son’s school. He just transferred in having completed half a year of precalculus and for some reason they want him to retake Algebra II and we, his parents, have refused, saying give him a chance. They are pressuring him quite a bit in class, which I don’t think teachers should be doing to a 15 year old.

Trying to figure out how I should exercise, as walking around to music is beginning to get a bit boring and climbing stairs is hard! Maybe a mix it up day. Need to get that treadmill set up again soon.

Enjoying the lingering thoughts and tummy comfort of the homemade pizza we had for dinner. My son asked if we could do homemade pizza every week and sorry, but I like to do homemade bread once or twice a week, it won’t always be pizza dough. There are so many other meals we love too!

Wishing I knew what I wanted to do with my life. Just moved to TN where my husband took a new job. Once things are settled down here, I need to decide if I am going to get a job or not. I don’t have to work, as we live nicely on what he makes, but I like to have something to call my own that helps others. I just don’t know if making yummy meals for my family, blogging and helping with my church’s food pantry is where I should be putting my time. What does God want me to do? Why doesn’t he ever tell me these things? I swear, if we are supposed to do what God wants us to do, why does He stay so darned cryptic?

Hoping the church I am going to will turn out to be a good home. I like the people and I can get involved there with their food pantry which dovetails nicely with my love of cooking and couponing. I know at least one or two songs per week at the contemporary worship service and am starting to run the powerpoint there once a month. But just don’t like the sermons at all. I seem to disagree with something the pastor says every Sunday.

Okay, time to stop delaying and get that exercise in!

• Kristen says

Oh, please don’t feel like you need to add a disclaimer. :) Your current concerns seem like, well, concerns, not complaining.

I hope you can find a good part-time job or volunteer position that keeps you feeling fulfilled.

15. Nikki says

*Thinking it is late and I should get to bed.
    *Smiling that it was 50 degrees and sunny here (Maine) today. Enjoyed a wonderful walk outside!!
    *Planning for my day of projects… first up, painting my son’s room. :)
    *Wondering what we will have for dinner tomorrow night. (Ugh)
    *Glad to know we are not alone in our quest for unscheduled time for our two boys. I often feel badly that they are not involved in as mch as their friends, but then remember how mch fun they have exploring the yard or building with Legos. L