Really, really cheap homemade bubbles

My girls are big bubble-blowing fans.

And normally, we have a pretty decent stash of clearance-purchased bubbles around here. But the other day when they wanted to blow bubbles, we discovered we were running a bit low.

So, I did a little googling, and found that to make homemade bubbles, most people recommend getting some glycerin to mix in with the soap and water.

But I had no glycerin.

Fortunately, I came across one recipe that didn’t call for glycerin, so I gave it a whirl.

All you need is a cup of water and two tablespoons of dish soap (I used dish soap from Aldi, since that’s what I had on hand.)

Fill the measuring cup with water first, and then gently add the dish soap, stirring gently so that you don’t make piles of suds.

The recipe said that these work best if you let them sit for 24 hours, but of course, we wanted to use them right away.

The verdict: They work surprisingly well, even without a waiting period!

I’d say they’re maybe a little less stretchy and durable than commercial bubbles (the glycerin would fix that), but the girls had no trouble blowing bubbles with them, using a wand or a straw.

Now, if you stick a straw into the bubbles and blow for a while, as Sonia did, you will have some sudsing problems. ;)

I probably still will poke around online to see if I can order some glycerin, but I’m pleased to know I can so easily make bubbles even without the glycerin.

This is especially wonderful news if any of your children are still in the bubble-spilling stage. If they spill these bubbles, it’s no problem to just mix up more.

(the suds are from Sonia blowing through the straw. As long as you don’t do that, suds aren’t an issue!)

Now, if only I’d figured this out and posted it in peak bubble-blowing season.

Ah well. I’ll remind you guys about it when spring rolls around!
_____________________

Do you have any tips for making homemade bubbles? And do you know of a great online place to buy glycerin?

_____________________

Joshua’s 365 post: Fallen

Comments

1. Elisabeth says

You can order glycerin at amazon! I got mine on subscribe and save as we go through a lot of bubbles. And actually even with the glycerin it is better if they sit for awhile so now is actually a good time to post this! I have two vinegar bottles in rotation…one to sit and the other to use.

• Elisabeth says

I found my recipe on the internet also, but I don’t remember where. I use 1/2 cup dishwashing detergent, 4 1/2 cups water, 4 T glycerin. I have been known to double the recipe also since my daughter is not past the bubble knocking over stage and she likes to blow a lot of bubbles. I let it sit for months and the longer it sits the larger the bubbles are and the longer they seem to last. I’ve watched some of the bubbles fly around our yard over into the neighbor’s yard and up over the trees before they were out of site or they popped.

You can also get it at hobby lobby or hobbylobby.com. Be sure to use that 40% off coupon! Of course, I’ve never used glycerin in my bubbles. My grandmother made them for us as kids using dish soap and water. If you use a little more dish soap they are a little sturdier. Plus, if you use scented dish soap then you can make scented bubbles.

Another tip – one thing that blows lots of cool bubbles is an empty thread spool. My grandmother was fabulously creative!

You can buy glycerin here (UK) in the home-baking aisle. I know this as I am attempting to make my own fondant icing/sugar paste, rather than buying ready-made. However I opted for the liquid glucose option – not sure why? Quite gutted as was very excited when I read this post thinking I’d bought glycerin (as that’s what I’d originally gone in for). My Kids love bubbles, but I’m not keen on shop bought bubble mixture (long story – won’t go into it here). Now wondering if liquid glucose will work instead? Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained! :-)

4. Bonnie says

The Children’s Science Centre here uses baby shampoo instead of dish soap so it is tear free in case things get a little crazy! They make bubble big enough to jump into with it! We have tried it and it works great.

5. Cheri says

We live in So. California and strangely bubbles do go out of season here even thought the temperature last week was 91. I am so pleased to have an option when they are hard to find. Thanks!

Since glycerin is an oily product you might try castor oil, aloe vera gel, shea butter, or even olive oil! I haven’t tried it, but would imagine just a small amount would do. Worth a try since you likely have one of these in either a kitchen or bathroom cabinet.

It looks like your kids had a lot of fun :)

We used this exact recipe when I was a kid :) We used to buy the commercial stuff to get a bottle and a wand, then keep refilling them with water and washing-up liquid over and over again.

8. Vicki says

When my kids were little I had a bubble recipe that called for a little sugar to help stabilize the bubbles–maybe a couple of tablespoons. But glycerine is easy to find at any drugstore.

9. Linda says

I heard instead of Glycerin you could use light Karo syrup!? Didn’t try it yet but cost might be better…worth a try anyway!

10. Heather Moore says

I had heard if you blow bubbles in below freezing temps, the bubbles become “ice.” I didn’t have any Bubbles, (no kids) so I searched homemade Bubbles. Your link came up, and it worked! So, post season or not, still very valid! If you happen to be affected by the Jan 5-6 winter storm with sub-zero temps as I am in NE Indiana, try this! It’s so cool!