Guess what? You can totally put avocados in smoothies.

(Don’t forget to enter my America’s Test Kitchen D.I.Y. Cookbook giveaway, which ends at midnight EST tonight.)

Maybe I’m the last person on the planet to realize this, but just in case I’m not, I’m posting about it.

My kids really are not big avocado fans. They can handle them diced in a salad, or thinly sliced and added to a bacon/chicken wrap, but even then, the level of their avocado affection doesn’t reach past mere tolerance.

This is unfortunate, because avocados are ridiculously healthy, and I’d like my kids to ingest more of them.

So, I am crazy pleased to have figured out that I can add one to a regular yogurt/frozen fruit smoothie and hear no complaints.

The first time I added one, I said nothing, and only told them after they’d already said the smoothie was good.

Now that we’ve established the avocados-are-not-yucky-in-smoothies bit, I don’t even have to be sneaky about adding in the avocado.

I’ve also discovered that this is a great way to use an avocado that’s a bit overripe, so, bonus!

Of course, you don’t have to be a kid to take advantage of this. If you’re an adult who’s been wanting the nutrition of avocados without the taste, you should give an avocado smoothie a try. If you’re nervous about it, start by just adding a quarter or a half of an avocado to your usual smoothie mix.

Here’s an image with text, in case you want to spread the avocado good news on Pinterest.

_______________________________

Joshua’s 365 post: One More Long-Exposure Photo

Comments

We love avocado smoothies in our house! We actually have a smoothie that is just milk, sugar and avocado that is delicious. (However finicky children might not eat – my 3 year old only eats it sometimes.) I’ve also added lime juice and it’s delicious.

2. Patti says

Hi Kristen,

I don’t care for avocados myself so a smoothie might be the way to go for me too. I also put lots of spinach in mine.

Patti

I love avocados, but didn’t appreciate them until I was an adult, so understand where your kids are coming from. We do occasionally let them get over-ripe here, so it’s good to know you can use them in smoothies. Do they still taste like avocado or do the other flavours mask it?

I love putting avocados in smoothies! You can’t really taste them, but they add such a nice fluffy texture–and all those nutrients.

I love avocados, so no need to hide one, but that’s a good idea if you need it! Did you know the best nutrients in the avocado are held in the dark green meat right by the skin? Until I learned how to cut and peel an avocado right, we were never eating the healthiest part!

6. Virginia Dare says

Kristen, how much do you think your readership has been affected by people pinning you to Pinterest? It seems like there are a lot more comments lately, both generally and on the contests. That’s not a value statement–just an observation.

• Kristen says

It’s hard to say. As always, the traffic on my blog has been slowly growing. It’s not really ever a huge spike in growth…just bit by bit!

7. Mary H says

I love avocados any way, shape or form, but my SO has a texture/mouth feel problem with avocados sliced or diced but he loves them made into guacamole. He’s the only person I’ve meet so far with that problem regarding avocados, but I’m sure it must affect other people. I didn’t start liking the taste of avocados until I started eating guacamole. Gradually I developed a taste for them and really like them now. I use avocado as a substitute for cheese or butter sometimes on sandwiches and baked potatoes.

Avocado’s haven’t really made it into my grocery shop yet, so it’s not a problem area for me with waste etc… not sure if this is just me, or it’s a British thing. Rarely do I see avocados at others houses either – but maybe I just haven’t looked hard enough! :-)
    Confession time – I’ve never made Guacamole either. I’ve bought it – probably twice yearly when hosting a Mexican night.
    Tempted to check them out now though….particularly as I now have an ‘exit plan’ should they not be ‘my cup of tea’ (thanks!)

9. Roxy Pittman says

Alton Brown ( of the food network show “Good Eats”) makes a wonderful green frosting with avocados instead of butter. It is good and good for you with out all the saturated fats from butter and some side effects some people get from food dye.

10. Joanna says

great idea! Another way to hide the avocados from the kiddos and create a healthier chocolate frosting for brownies (we put ours on black bean brownies for a healthier dessert): 1 avocado, 1/2 C cocoa (or to taste), 1 Tblsp agave nectar or to taste; combine all in food processor. I don’t measure anymore, but the combo of these do create a rich dark chocolate frosting that keeps well in the fridge for a few days.

11. Jennifer says

Actually there’ s a Morrocan recipe that features avocadoes. It’s an avocado, milk, a bit of sweetner (sugar, honey,etc) and a splash of rose water. It is delicious. And don’t forget some cultures will use avocado on the sweet side, like in Brazil. They usually mash it up with sugar as a dessert.

• Fran in Texas says

Oh, that made me remember a friend of my mother’s who grew up in Brazil and liked to make avocado ice cream!! I don’t think my mother enjoyed her taste!

12. Jen says

I love avos so no need to hide them in smoothies. I don’t eat cheese so use them in sandwiches and one crackers to add something smooth and creamy.

13. janknitz says

You can mash avacodo with cocoa powder, sweetener of choice, and a dash of vanilla for a chcolate “pudding”. It tastes a little like it has banana in it.

14. rosarugosa says

Good job with the smoothie, but I need different avocado-related advice please. We love them, but seem to always ending up throwing them away as too underripe or way overripe. We don’t seem to be able to get it right in judging what to buy and when to eat. I would say we’ve thrown away 4 out of every five we’ve ever purchased, so we don’t even try any more. Advice from anyone?

15. TracyDK says

Can you taste the avocado? I HATE them, though I really appreciate what they have to offer, so I’d love to be able to incorporate them into my eating routine. I’ve tried making a pudding with them. *shudders* I could totally taste it. I’ve tried making an ice cream with it. Again, totally taste it. Maybe I’m hyper-sensitive to it. I don’t know, but I would welcome any sort of help with adding it to my diet.

• Kristen says

I REALLY don’t think you can taste it. My kids loathe avocado and they’re completely happy with it in a smoothie.

16. Bron from Oz says

They use sweetened avocado in layered juice drinks in Ethiopia too – unusual but delicious – but I’ve never had avocado in a smoothie.

17. D says

Half an avocado is my replacement for frozen banana as a thickener/sweetener for my green/fruit smoothies. They make the smoothie very thick and taste pleasant! Smoothies (particularly with frozen berries) are a great place to hide greens like spinach which is mild as well as avocado, not to mention other healthy ingredients like superfoods. I have problems with my skin so I try to avoid dairy, meaning I usually use almond milk or water (but apparently it’s good to use coconut water if you’re an athlete). Probably my favorite smoothie EVER is the chocolate “milkshake,” you guys MUST try if you have the stuff. Sometimes I even hide spinach in it. This recipe is my favorite: http://mynewroots.blogspot.com/2010/06/raw-chocolate-milkshake-miracle.html

18. carrie says

Great idea thanks! I made smoothies for my 3 picky eaters and they didn’t even taste all the avocados I put in. Plus it made it nice and creamy since my kids don’t like milk.