Spinach, Smoothies, and Survivors

by Kristen on May 26, 2012 · 17 comments

in Gardening

Spinach

The nice thing about spinach from my yard is that I’m very sure it’s organic.

Smoothies

They’re just the greatest when the weather is warm, don’t you think?

In this one: homemade yogurt, frozen mango, frozen raspberries, and frozen strawberries.

Glass straw details here.

Survivors

This pot used to be full of basil seedlings.

But for some odd reason, a whole bunch of them died.

Then Zoe knocked over the pot and more died.

And a squirrel has dug through the pot twice, uprooting these poor plants.

Attention, all squirrels! There are no acorns in this pot. Please stop rummaging around. Thank you.

I seriously have never had this much trouble growing basil before. I almost broke down and bought a plant at the grocery store.

But these seedlings are looking pretty healthy now and I think I can patiently wait for them to be big enough to eat.

Grow, basil, grow!

___________________________

Today’s 365 post: Because I like to live life on the wild side…

Joshua’s 365 post:

1 sherry May 26, 2012 at 7:53 am

Squirrels, I’ve read, really don’t remember where they bury their treasures, so just randomly dig, hoping for an aha moment. They dig in my pots too. What I’ve found that works pretty well is to criss-cross some small tree branches/twigs over the soil between your seedlings.

2 Cate May 26, 2012 at 9:22 am

I’ve had basil issues this year, too. Our dog keeps breaking into our metal-chicken-wire-surrounded garden and eating the basil…ONLY the basil. I don’t get it!

3 Lili@creativesavv May 26, 2012 at 9:48 am

My problem with basil is always the cool climate we have in the NW. I see photos of other gardens with prolific basil and I come down with a terrible virus known as “basil envy”.
The spinach looks fresh and wonderful. I hope mine is ready to pick soon.

4 CC May 26, 2012 at 10:22 am

Basil problems here also. I planted the seeds and they came up but then something just ate all the leaves and left the stems. I have no idea what happen and was going to plant some more but just didn’t get to it. On the other hand my cucumbers and pepper plants have gone crazy and today I’m canning a hot pepper mix. And yes I did think of how they along with my tomatoes are all organic. Plus the tomatoes are so good, much better than at the store.

5 Kat May 26, 2012 at 11:01 am

The basil plants here didn’t take either. They didn’t even bother coming up. It’s so sad because we looove basil…..especially in the summer time.

6 Grammomsblog May 26, 2012 at 12:17 pm

I’ve found that squirrels HATE my son’s hair! I sprinkle his ‘cut’ hair in the dirt and on top. Also I put it in a little nylon stocking ‘pouch’ and hang on my birdfeeders = NO squirrels anymore. I have also heard they don’t like cinnamon too.

7 Lili@creativesavv May 26, 2012 at 1:02 pm

I’ve heard the same thing about gophers, moles and voles. If you cut someone’s hair, you take the cuttings and shove them down the hole, into a main run. They get the hair cutting in their fur and can’t stand the itchy feeling, so go elsewhere. I’m going to try this in our cherry trees this year, with a pouch of hair. The squirrels pick off all the cherries before they even ripen! Squirrel stew is sounding awfully good right now! (kidding, for all the animal lovers out there)

8 hunnybunny May 26, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Maybe the squirrels are seeking the basil to make acorn pesto?
: )
Good luck with your plants. my cat ate almost all of my starts this year and I had to buy quite a bit at a nursery. : (

9 Sharon May 26, 2012 at 5:10 pm

I hope your basil eventually does well. I had so much basil last year that I was able to use my dehydrator (4 levels) twice and I still have not used all that dried basil yet. Plus, I like to use the large basil leaves in place of lettuce on tomato sandwiches. Basil pairs so well with tomato – it is really delicious.

10 Leah May 27, 2012 at 12:35 am

Now throw a handful of that spinach into your smoothie and you’ve got a good deal. I promise it won’t affect the taste and if the color is not so pretty some dark colored berries cover it up easily. Yummy way to pack an extra serving of veggies in your day!

11 ecoteri May 27, 2012 at 12:59 am

Fungus Gnats – they love slightly damp soil, and take out our precious seedlings in a trice. Keep the soil a bit on the dry side. ignore the wilting of the babies until the soil feels DRY 1″ down. buy Fungus Gnat Predators. Curse. get sticky papers to catch the flying Gnats. Curse

We lose cucumbers and Basil each year. I think that they are both more fragile and also that they are less thirsty. keeping them dry. that is the ticket

12 Kelly May 27, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Oh, squirrels digging in my freshly-planted flowers or herbs drives me crazy! I leave the pots out in the winter and they don’t bother them at all until I plant something in them! I think it’s spite.

13 Donita May 27, 2012 at 8:50 pm

It’s called damping off and is caused by several varieties of fungi. The fungi are in the soil, on the pots or in the water you use, so cleaning with Jeyes Fluid and using fresh compost and only tapwater (not rainwater) helps. The fungi are encouraged by dampness, so overwatering and overcrowding and keeping them in a humid place will all help it grow. At least you have some left – looks like they’ve thinned themselves out and saved you a job!

14 Kristen May 27, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Wow, I had no idea! That does sound exactly like what happened to mine. I wonder why it happened this year but no other years.

15 Donita May 27, 2012 at 9:19 pm

I guess there’s a lot of variables – you could do everything the same and just happen to get a bag of compost that had some spores in, and all your efforts are to no avail. My Mum’s a really good knowledgeable gardener – she’s been doing it for 50 years or so and she doesn’t really bother growing from seeds anymore, (except for beans) as they so frequently get damping off. It’s a pain to use Jeyes Fluid – I hate the smell too, so I never bother. I think the thing is to get them well ventilated, and keep your (green) fingers crossed. I think proper seed compost like John Innes is heat sterilised if you want to go that far. I’ve just sown seed into our own garden and kitchen waste compost, which has been sitting at the back of the garden for several years, so its a very real threat to my seeds too. Oh I like to live on the edge!

16 Kristen May 27, 2012 at 9:55 pm

You know, though, I think I might not have started them with compost before. That’s probably the difference.

17 Lisa May 29, 2012 at 1:00 pm

I had two large nice basil plants and some creature (my guess is squirrels) tore them up and made a total mess! After months of trying, they finally also ate through our hard (!) plastic suet hanger! Grrrrr…. I hate squirrels; there is nothing they won’t destroy.