A small Goodwill painting project

by Kristen on May 29, 2012 · 19 comments

in Goodwill, Painting

Sonia and Lisey were feeling a wee bit left out when Zoe got her new bed, so I painted a little something for them too.

I picked up this little rack at Goodwill quite some time ago because I could see it had potential and because I liked the little ceramic knobs. I think I paid $3 for it.

I sanded it down and put a few coats of white paint on it since I had the white pant out anyway.

If I had it to do over again, I probably would have just spray painted it because brushing such a small piece is a pain. But, what’s done is done!

The knobs on this rack are too small and too slippery to be useful for hanging things like clothes, but that’s not what I had in mind anyway.

Nope, I wanted it for necklaces.

Sonia and Lisey both have jewelry boxes with the little rotating necklace hangers, but as you know if you own one, those things don’t really work all that well. They’re almost never tall enough for the necklaces and the necklaces get tangled. Plus, it’s hard to see what you’ve got.

This is SO much better.

Not only does it keep their necklaces organized and within reach, I also think it looks pretty nice hanging on their wall.

It was a small thing to do for my girls, but Sonia and Lisey were overjoyed when they saw what I hung up in their room.

They’ve been wearing their necklaces a lot more now that they’re easy to access, and I’m thinking that I need to keep an eye out for something like this to keep my own necklaces organized (maybe a tiny one to hang inside my closet).

I’m kinda jealous of their necklace hanger!

____________________________________
Today’s 365 post: How long can three girls play on the slip-n-slide?

Joshua’s 365 post: My baby gecko eating from a spoon!

1 Victoria@Snailpacetransformations May 29, 2012 at 7:26 am

I have done this in the closet of my current home and the closet of the home we lived in before this one. In my current home, I have 2. One is for bracelets and One is for necklaces. I also have a long one down one side of our narrow walk in closet to hold purses.

2 maria in chicago May 29, 2012 at 8:01 am

I love this–both the function aspect and the thought so they didn’t feel left out!! :)

3 WilliamB May 29, 2012 at 8:27 am

IIRC you didn’t use the knobs from Zoe’s new bed – how about attaching them to a painted board?

4 Michelle May 29, 2012 at 8:38 am

Love this idea!

5 Terry May 29, 2012 at 8:52 am

Its lovely. What color and brand of white do you use? I noticed that it’s not quite bright white, but a bit more muted.

6 Cindy May 29, 2012 at 9:17 am

What a neat idea! I have a little rack like this in my daughter’s closet that I got at a yard sale. It’s purple. I think I’m going to spray paint it glossy white and do something similar for the myriad necklaces she’s started to accumulate. The yard-sale jewelry box isn’t cutting it! Thanks for the inspiration.

7 Lili@creativesavv May 29, 2012 at 9:24 am

Cute! Knobs seems to multiply in our junk box in the garage. This might be easy to replicate, with some long screws and a piece of wood or scrap of wide moulding trim.

8 Sarah May 29, 2012 at 9:29 am

I love this idea! I think I’ll borrow it for my daughter. Thanks for sharing!

9 Tricia May 29, 2012 at 9:30 am

I am doing this! What a great idea and solution to endless untangling. Thanks for sharing this!

10 Jess @JessCantCook May 29, 2012 at 9:33 am

I’m kinda jealous of their necklace hanger too! I love the idea of hanging necklaces but most of the solutions I’ve seen have been things that stand on your dresser. Our cats would have a field day with that, but this would be perfect!

11 Katy Wolk-Stanley May 29, 2012 at 10:00 am

Perfect! I too would be very excited to come home and find this hung on my bedroom wall!

Katy

12 alice May 29, 2012 at 10:25 am

You’re a great mom, how sweet to take the time to do this for your girls!

13 Joy May 29, 2012 at 11:12 am

Very cute idea!

14 Alicia Jaybird May 29, 2012 at 2:46 pm

I was just thinking that I’d be more likely to wear jewelry if I displayed it hanging up above my dresser instead of keeping it in a box as I do now. This is a really cute shelf- you have such a talent for seeing the potential in objects and making them beautiful and functional! I have used your tips on painting wooden frames and now hope to find a similar thrifted rack for my necklaces too.

15 Jessica May 29, 2012 at 4:12 pm

I love this. I similarly use key hook racks or tie racks for my own necklaces. They are cheap, come in all kinds of fun styles, and when hung at different lengths they can accommodate the longer costume jewelry necklaces that would never fit in the traditional jewelry box.

16 rosarugosa May 29, 2012 at 7:56 pm

That’s really nice Kristen. I love the porcelain knobs, very elegant and vintage looking, but practical too.

17 Jocelyn Chamberlain June 1, 2012 at 12:11 pm

It looks lovely! Amazing what a coat of pant can do. Where did you hang it in the room, it looks like you have it on a very large wall? I like the idea of a hanger to put necklaces on.

18 Kristen June 1, 2012 at 1:49 pm

It’s just on a wall next to their bookshelf…the necklace rack isn’t that big. Maybe a foot and a half long or so?

19 Rebecca June 1, 2012 at 4:25 pm

My sister-in-law shared an idea with me, which I now use and love! She uses push pins (the bigger plastic thumbtacks), which are wider at both ends so the necklaces stay put. Also, when you get a new necklace, just add another pin to the wall! So, I now have a line up of push-pins on my wall by my closet, each with a necklace on it. Nice and organized and super cheap!