Homemade Fuzzy Blankets

It was The Year Of Fuzzy Blankets at our house.

All three of my girls have had their birthdays now, and I made a fuzzy blanket for each of them.

I initially made one for Zoe because she wanted a marine-themed blanket, and I couldn’t find one for the life of me! So, I bought fabric, hemmed it, and she was thrilled.

Then Sonia wanted one, of course, so for her birthday (two weeks after Zoe’s), I made a turtle blanket.

And then it didn’t seem right for Lisey not to have one, so I made a third blanket when her birthday rolled around.

If you’ve got a very basic sewing machine and skills to match, you can do this. It’s super easy…so easy, I almost feel silly writing a post about it!

But a number of you asked, and so here I am.

You’ll need 1 1/2 yards of fabric if you want to make a throw of typical size. A yard and a half makes a blanket that’s perfectly sized for kids…it’s big enough to cover them generously, and still small enough to be quite portable.

You’ll also need a spool of thread in a color that matches or complements the colors in your blanket. I always choose a color that blends in as much as possible…contrasting thread shows mistakes too much!

When you’re ready to sew, lay the fabric out on a table or on the floor, and trim any uneven edges.

Then fold the raw edge over about 1/8 of an inch, and fold it over again about a generous half inch, pinning as you go.

My edges look a little wonky because of the pins, but I promise they really were pinned straight!

You can use a ruler to help you keep your pinning even, or you can just eyeball it. This is not rocket science.

Once you’ve got a side pinned, sew a straight seam, keeping the needle an even distance from the edge of the blanket and pulling out the pins as you go.

Repeat this with the remaining sides of the blanket.

You can make the corners of the blanket very plain and simple, or you can make a mitered corner. This is a good explanation of how that works, but know that it’s a little tricker to do when you’re working with plush, puffy fabric.

But then again, plush, puffy fabric also means that a less-than-perfect corner won’t be quite as obvious.

Is this project worth your time?

Well, that depends on a few things. If you can find a great deal on a blanket in the color and size you want, it might be wiser to buy the blanket.

On the other hand, if you can’t find what you want (fuzzy turtle and marine blankets are almost impossible to find), and you’ve got an hour to spare, sewing a blanket is a great way to go.

If you watch for a fabric sale or go shopping armed with a 40% off coupon*, the fabric will probably only cost you around $12, and the spool of thread will be just another couple of dollars (you might even already own the right thread, in which case you’ve just got to pay for the fabric.)

* You can usually print 40% off coupons at michaels.com or acmoore.com, and most fabric stores will accept them as competitor’s coupons.

My girls have been so pleased with their blankets…they take them to bed every night, use them to build tents, and snuggle up under them while we have family worship.

And that makes me feel like my time was very well invested.

_________________________________

Today’s 365 post: I ate a half pound of these. By myself.

Joshua’s 365 post: Fading

Comments

Cute! Another idea is that you can use a dinner plate to draw rounded corners. I have made my kids fleece blankets by using two pieces of fleece (usually a yard or yard and a half), rounding the corners, and sewing them right sides together, leaving a space about 12 inches for turning inside out Then I pin the sides together and sew around the edges like you did. Our house is drafty, so these come out a lot in the winter. I also trimmed the bedraggled fringe off one of those no-sew fleece blankets everyone made a few years ago and used this method to make a little more polished looking blanket for our TV room. LOVE the patterns you chose!

2. Mary Ann says

But why haven’t you made your son a blanket? My 20-year old son still drags a blanket around the house (when he is home from college that is), using it on the couch when watching movies or he has it draped over his shoulders while cooking. He still loves the softness.

• Kristen says

Reese is right-his birthday is still to come, and I know he’s considering asking for a fuzzy blanket. ;)

• susanna says

LOL I wondered the same thing then figured either his bday hadn’t come around or he didn’t want one. I make quilts and one year decided to make my sister in law a fuzzy throw – the furry fleece on one side and the regular fleece on the other -she loved it and a year later asked me to make one for my brother for Christmas – said he liked using hers and didnt’ want to ask me. they like the quilts but for regular use they love the fleece. not doing the furry stuff again any time soon! I did use some Minkee type fabric to back a few quilts for the college-bound -my mom loved the minkee stuff. I have to admit fleece definitely wins for feeling good and lasting and being warm without feeling heavy!

I’ve made fleece blankets for my kids that didn’t involve any sewing at all – I put two coordinating pieces of fabric back to back, cut a four-inch fringe all around, then knotted the edges together all around. This is great on baby blankets because the knots and the fringe are interesting to the baby, but my big kids have all loved theirs as well. I might get ambitions and try yours once I get my sewing machine overhauled and working again.

• Kristen says

Yep, that works with fleece! Zoe and Lisey’s blankets are made of micro plush fabric, though, and my goodness, that stuff sheds like nobody’s business. I was full of fuzz when I was done sewing!

4. Beth in TX says

If you have a Hobby Lobby nearby as well as a cell phone that can access the internet, you can access their weekly coupon (they don’t always have one but have had one every week for quite a while now) and just show that to the cashier. It has a code on it and they just type the code into the register. It was so nice to be out and decide to stop in and not have to worry about having forgotten to print the coupon at home. Now, we never print out the coupon and save on paper and ink also.

5. Rose says

fuzzy blankets are great! In reply to another post on here about repurposing clothing? I have just recently taken a pretty wrap around skirt that I melted the bottom with an iron [a foolish mistake on my part as the material is sort of silky] and I cut out a pretty little dress for a little girl at my church : ) Have not yet sewn it and hoping the material is not TOO slippery!! Also, just took a very large pair of mens jeans..[ in very good condition bought at thrift store] and cut out 2 pairs of tiny size 0-3 months baby jeans out of them. They are SOOO cute : )

• Kristen says

Slippery fabric IS a little tricky to work with…can you use a little bit of non slippery fabric to reinforce the seams? I often do that when I have slippery fabric on my hands.

And, if you are really lazy (like me) you don’t even bother hemming since fleece won’t unravel. Most of the blankets on our kids beds are made from 2 yards of fleece just unfolded and spread out. They love them!

7. Rebecca says

These look sooooo snuggly! I’m going to make a quillow for my nanny child’s birthday tomorrow. I already have a ton of fabric and she will LOVE it.

8. marie says

Fuzzy blankets rule. I’m 25 and I have to say that the Harry Potter blanket my friend got me maybe six years ago is still my very favourite.