Ranch Chicken/Bacon Wraps

by Kristen on March 22, 2012 · 22 comments

in Main Dishes

I got this idea years ago from an online friend of mine (Hi Brooke!). She hates to cook, but says even she can manage to throw these together. So, if you’re the type who makes dinner by picking up the phone and a takeout menu, you can probably handle this. ;)

These are really more method than anything, and you can customize them to your heart’s content. You can use different meats, cheeses, dressings, vegetables, and even tortillas….whatever thrills your heart.

The basic method is this:

1. Spread a thin layer of your favorite salad dressing (we like ranch) down the center of a tortilla.

2. Top with cheese, fresh spinach, bacon, and sliced cooked chicken.

3. Roll up tightly (you can fold the ends in if you want to make a neat packet).

You can eat them right away, or if you want to serve them later, just wrap them up in plastic wrap or a plastic bag.

These are super easy to make if you’re using meats that are already cooked, but I rarely am (Leftover cooked bacon? What is that??)

So, I usually slice my raw chicken breasts horizontally to make thin cutlets and then sprinkle them with salt and pepper. I then cook my bacon slices, drain the bacon fat out of the pan, and cook the chicken in the same pan. That gives the chicken a nice bit of bacon flavor and saves me from having to use two pans.

(Yay for reducing the dirty-dish pile!)

Of course, if you’ve got leftover cooked chicken, you can certainly use that instead…that’d be even easier.

And if you don’t eat meat, you could certainly just fill your wrap with veggies, cheese, and dressing.

I serve these with fruit and some sort of veggie (like sauteed green beans). And if I’m feeling indulgent, sometimes we have chips as well.

I know some of you out there are probably wrap-making masters, so would you share your favorite wrap filling ideas with us?

__________________________

Joshua’s 365 post: Kamar

1 Jo in RI March 22, 2012 at 7:44 am

Cream cheese, cranberry relish, spinach, turkey. Great for Thanksgiving leftovers or any time with deli meat.

2 Lauren B March 22, 2012 at 7:52 am

I’m a vegetarian And make several kinds of wraps. One I lovE that I just made yesterday was stuFfed with sautéed onions and black beans, and sprinkled with cheese. I made it into a quesadilla by having a tortilla on top and bottom, cooking on both sides once I’ve already sautéed the onion and beans and stuffed um’ inside! Top with sour cream and salsa and you have a nice, easy little Mexican dish!

3 Molly March 22, 2012 at 9:05 am

That sounds delicious, Lauren B!
We’re also vegetarians, and we like a layer of PB down the middle, add fruit and maybe cinnamon sugar.

4 Katie March 22, 2012 at 11:01 am

my grad school used to make pb wraps with or without honey, strawberries, bananas, and granola. it turns out that a bunch of the people i went to school with still remember them fondly. i never got the honey because it was way too sweet with it.

5 Karen D. March 22, 2012 at 8:28 am

grilled chicken, arugula, pesto (sometimes some sundried tomatos)
scrambled eggs, spinach, cheese, salsa
cream cheese, ham, cheese, spinach, tomatoes

Another great quick dinner: waffle sandwiches. I make whole wheat, wheat germ and flaxseed belgium size waffles. These are then frozen and easily defrosted and toasted. Spread with thin layer of cream cheese and dijon mustard, add ham and procuitto (if I have found some cheaply), swiss cheese, tomatoes (optional) and arugula or spinach. Had these at Sleepy Hollow at Walt Disney World and have made them ever since. Very filling. They also travel well for picnics.

6 Reese March 22, 2012 at 9:40 am

It definitely depends on what I have on hand! I’ve done:
Hummus, sprouts, shredded carrots and cucumber slices;
Mayo, tomato and cheese
Just cheese, cheese and more cheese
Smashed beans, sour cream, and sauteed peppers/onions
Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato and Mayo ;) Nom nom nom nom.

7 GB @ In Budgets We Trust March 22, 2012 at 9:57 am

Wow, you made it look so easy! I’m thinking of whipping something up in tortillas for my packed lunch today :)

8 Kate March 22, 2012 at 10:55 am

Chicken caesar wraps – mix romaine lettuce, caesar dressing ( bottled or honemade), parmesan and bacon bits. Place on tortilla and top with grilled chicken pieces.

9 Katie March 22, 2012 at 10:59 am

those look really good!

our favorite wraps lately have been shaved pork cooked with bbq sauce in the crockpot with taco type toppings. it’s a diy version of the bbq tacos at our local taco place, but they’re bigger and a lot less salty (and cheaper).

10 Lara@Mrs. A's World March 22, 2012 at 11:58 am

These look amazing! I just love sandwiches. And ranch dressing. I’m totally making these! We eat turkey bacon here, so I would just substitute that, and be good to go. One of my favorite wraps is hummus, taboulleh (and left-over chicken if I have it) wrapped up in a whole wheat pita. Sometimes I grill the pita for a few minutes so it gets crisp on the outside. Baba ghannoush (eggplant spread) also makes a nice substitute for the hummus. It pairs really well with the tabbouleh, too.

11 Vanessa March 22, 2012 at 12:32 pm

just this week we wrapped up:

drained black beans, warmed up to hot
leftover brown rice
sour cream
salsa (chunky style or you’ll have a mess)
cheese

microwave for 30 seconds just to take the cold off the rice, cheese and sour cream. top with lettuce. heavenly and EASY.

12 Vanessa March 22, 2012 at 12:35 pm

and my very favorite pregnancy nausea stanby:
***cream cheese and cucumbers rolled up***
mild, creamy, with protein and fiber. wouldn’t have made it out of the first trimester without these.
yummy.

13 Kristen March 22, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Oooh yes! I did something very similar when I was pregnant with Joshua. Something about the cream cheese and cucumbers was very soothing.

14 Margaret March 22, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Peanut butter, granola, banana. These actually hold together better after a little time in the fridge or next to an ice pack in a lunch or cooler. It’s a great breakfast on the go option.

15 Elissa March 22, 2012 at 6:02 pm

Hummus, olives, feta, and lettuce/spinach. We had a restaurant in the area that used to make those, and I love to do them at home now. YUM.

16 Megs @ Little Stirrings March 22, 2012 at 6:16 pm

My latest wrap addiction is buffalo-seasoned chicken, a little cheddar cheese, ranch dressing, and raw broccoli slaw. YUM. :) – which I actually just recently did a post on because I’m on a wrap kick – so easy to shove in lots of veggies for a pack-able lunch!

17 Heather :) :) :) March 22, 2012 at 6:44 pm

Everything is better with bacon :) :) Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

18 Victoria Grattan March 23, 2012 at 1:35 pm

I just came across your blog and I love it!! I think it is so funny you post food that goes to waste! Such a great way to motivate people to eat up their food and spend less on going out! I learned this quickly when i had my fiancial breakdown. I became a Betty Crocker real quick and found out i am a pretty good cook too! :) Great blog!

19 Brooke April 10, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Hi Kristen,

I was just looking through my google analytics and saw a ton of views coming from your website and I was like what the heck? I think it’s hilarious you posted one of the few things I actually make. :D

Thanks for the shout out and I’m glad you love them!

20 Kristen April 10, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Haha! Glad to send you some traffic. ;)

21 Kate October 8, 2012 at 8:26 pm

I’ve been a faithful follower going on 3 years, thank you for changing mylife, my family’s life!!! I love and pass forward almost ever single recipe you have ever posted with everyone I know to pass the word about you along!!! I really miss your weekly menu planning though:( but I understand I am a mother to 4 and homeschool too :) but just wanted to say a huge THANKYOU so much for all you do on your blog!!

22 Kristen October 8, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Aww, thank YOU for the encouraging comment. I really appreciate it. :)