Homemade Creamsicles | A Guest Post

by Kristen on June 22, 2011 · 17 comments

in Guest Posts

Last summer, I posted about how I made my own pudding pops (I also did a detailed price comparison), and so when I got an email offering a guest post about homemade creamsicles, I thought you guys might be interested. I haven’t tried these creamsicles myself, but I plan to make this recipe with a few simplifications.

(you can click on the photo below to be taken to the recipe for pudding pops)

_____________________________________________

Hi! I’m Jamie Cantor, owner of Platine Bakery in Los Angeles, CA where I get to create all the sweet baked treats that I love. Everyday my team and I develop new recipes, experiment with fresh and artisanal ingredients, and tap my local farmer’s market for the best available produce.

I’m thrilled to share with all the The Frugal Girl readers one of my favorite retro treats, my home-made Creamsicles. If you don’t remember them from your childhood, the idea of combining vanilla and orange may seem like a strange combination, but once you taste these freshly made treats, you will be hooked!

The beauty behind these home-made Creamsicles is that they are all natural, easy to make, much less expensive and nutritious than if you buy them in a store. They’re the perfect summer treat for the entire family.

The process does require some special cooking equipment, but chances are if you are a DIY queen like I am and you read this wonderful blog, you will already have them on hand.

If you want to keep it on the “frugal” side and don’t have popsicle molds on hand*, you can always make them the way my mom did, in Dixie Cups.

*Kristen’s note: I sometimes see these in thrift stores, but there are also a lot of popsicle molds on Amazon (there’s even a stainless steel popsicle mold, which is pricey but very intriguing).

Or, if you don’t want to put in all the effort that it takes to make individual pops and want something more adult, you can make an ice cream “bombe.” Feel free to layer the sorbet and ice cream in a metal or glass bowl and put it in the freezer. When you are ready to impress your dinner party guests, just run some hot water over the bottom of the bowl, and invert the whole frozen treat onto a plate. Cut it into slices and serve as is, or garnish with some whipped cream and simple cookies.

Ingredients:

Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe (Kristen’s note: If you want to make this process simpler, you could certainly use prepared ice cream instead of homemade. That’s my plan, at least!)

1 qt half and half
12 egg yolks
180g sugar (3/4 cup + 2Tbs)
1 Tbs vanilla bean paste
1/2 tsp salt

Orange Sorbet Recipe (Blood Oranges, Tangerine, Satsuma Mandarins, etc. – pick whatever looks good to you at the market. Be creative!)

2/3 cup sugar
1 cup water
Orange Juice from 8 oranges – About 18 oz (Kristen’s note: I’m pretty sure you can use bottled juice if you prefer)
Lime Juice To Taste

Special Equipment needed

Ice Cream Freezer

Popsicle Molds – If Popsicle molds aren’t available or you want to save money on this item, you can always do it the old fashioned way – Dixie Cups!

Method

For the Ice Cream – Prepare an ice bath and have a bowl ready with a fine strainer on top. Divide the sugar approximately in half. Place one half into a heavy saucepot with the salt, half and half, and vanilla bean paste. Place the pot on the stove and turn on the heat. Place the egg yolks and remaining sugar in a bowl and whisk until pale yellow and think. When the mixture on the stove begins to boil turn off the heat and slowly pour 1/4 of it into the yolks while whisking at the same time.

Return the pan to the stove and pour all of the mix into it. Turn the heat on and stir constantly with a wooden spoon and cook until it is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon and it is no hotter than 185 degrees. Quickly strain the mixture through the fine strainer into the reserved bowl and place the bowl into the ice bath. Place the entire thing into the refrigerator and stir every so often to cool completely.

When the mixture has cooled completely, remove it from the ice bath and allow it to rest overnight if possible. Freeze the ice cream in an ice cream maker and spoon half of the ice cream evenly into the bottoms of the Popsicle molds. Immediately place the leftover ice cream and the popsicles into the freezer.

For the Sorbet – Choose flavorful citrus for this – if it’s the right season, feel free to use Blood Oranges or Satsuma Mandarins, or other interesting members of the orange family.

Juice the oranges and strain so there are no seeds or pulp. Place the sugar and water in a saucepot and heat until the sugar has dissolved. Cool the syrup and add it to the juice. Add lime juice to taste.

Freeze in an ice cream maker and carefully layer into the Popsicle molds. Allow the sorbet to freeze completely before topping off the popsicles with a final layer of Vanilla Ice Cream.

Enjoy!

(note from Kristen: The layering instructions in this recipe appear to be the opposite of what I see in the photos. I suppose you could do the layers either way, but I’m planning to try the ice cream/orange sorbet/ice cream method, just because I think ice cream is more delicious than sorbet. ;) )

____________________________________

Jamie Cantor is a former French Laundry pastry chef who worked under Thomas Keller, alum of the prestigious Culinary Institute of America, and now renowned Pastry Chef and owner of Platine Bakery. Her hand crafted, couture baked goods are inspired by classics, which include her Oreo-inspired Platinos, and vanilla counterpart Camιes.

If you are in Los Angeles, Jamie would love for you to stop in at Platine Bakery in Culver City.

_____________________________________

Today’s 365 post: yesterday…

1 Kathy June 22, 2011 at 7:22 am

wow…looks delicious! But way too expensive to make with vanilla bean paste and all that half and half!!!

2 Kristen June 22, 2011 at 7:23 am

Like I said in the post, I’d be quite inclined to just use purchased ice cream (or use a simpler homemade ice cream recipe.). :)

3 adventuresindinner June 22, 2011 at 8:25 am

Delicious! What a great memory to make with the kiddoes.

4 Megan June 22, 2011 at 9:04 am

Oooh I can’t wait to try these! I have a zoku quick pop maker (http://www.zokuhome.com/)– its not the most frugal option, but it can freeze a popsicle in less than 10 minutes and for recipes like this, you can pour in the orange juice part, let it freeze for a few minutes, suck out the middle with a straw, and fill it in with the ice cream part so you have a different core flavor, just like the ones in the store!

5 Gretchen June 22, 2011 at 9:26 am

The ice cream recipe would be a great complement to my angel food cake recipe – both in flavor and the fact that the angel food cake needs 12 egg whites. I never know what to do with the yolks.

6 Dawn June 22, 2011 at 10:03 am

That is an excellent idea. I usually make lemon curd, but my husband would love ice cream.

7 Virginia Dare June 22, 2011 at 4:15 pm

that is brilliant.

8 Molly June 22, 2011 at 9:27 am

For a while we had dollar tree popsicle molds. But we never made popsicles (I’m just not a popsicle person). So we donated them to Goodwill.
Then Ryan bought Aldi popsicles – strawberry with coconut. Coconut makes everything better.
Also – Kristen, this is an example of a GREAT guest post for your readers! I remember a while ago you asked if we were interested in them – and this kind, yes!
Thanks, Jamie!

9 Battra92 June 22, 2011 at 9:33 am

Looks delicious but for those of us watching sugar and stuff, I go for: Diet Orange soda and sugar free vanilla ice cream (made like a root beer float.) It’s a different form of Creamsicle but just as delicious. Use diet grape soda instead of orange and you have a Purple Cow. :D

10 Elaine June 22, 2011 at 11:12 am

Battra92, You bring up a good point. I read this and other frugal living blogs, and a lot of the more inexpensive foods they talk about are not really good for you if you have any health issues. I try to look for the three-way balance among price, health, and convenience (single working person here, who doesn’t really like to cook). There is almost always one thing that out-weighs the other two in my consideration, but sometimes it’s just the opposite. Very seldom does anything hit all three of my requirements.

I’m going to try your diet orange soda and sugar free ice cream! Sounds delicious.

11 Molly June 22, 2011 at 11:28 am

Fat-free whipped topping works well, too!

12 Kristen June 22, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Oh dear. Fat-free whipped topping may be low in fat or calories, but it’s one of those foods that’s too far from being real for my taste.

13 Jenny June 22, 2011 at 12:43 pm

It is always a funny balancing act–I’d much rather splurge on one popsicle with good homemade vanilla ice cream and sorbet. No diet soda or sugar-free ice cram here—too many chemicals in those for me! It just dpends where your prioroties are.

14 Alice in Seattle June 22, 2011 at 12:59 pm

I like the molds pictured in Jamie’s post. I looked on Amazon and didn’t seem anything like them. I like the idea of using a wooden stick (after removing the plastic top) so people don’t have to keep track of the stick and top. Maybe I could use sticks with my Tupperware molds. Anyway, if you have a link to the molds Jamie used, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

15 Sarah June 22, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Yummy looks good. Fresh is best.

16 Virginia Dare June 22, 2011 at 4:18 pm

I would like to try Iced Tea popsicles. Like, Mint Ice Tea or even an Arnold Palmer popsicle. Maybe not a kid’s taste, but definitely frugal and an option for dieters.

17 Jenny June 22, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Sounds good. I’ve had Irish Cream-sicles. Made with homemade vanilla ice cream and some Bailey’s mixed in. Definitely not for dieters….but incredibly yummy. I like the idea of flavored tea ones. They’d be perfect after getting all hot and sweaty gardening.