On Saturdays, I share my menu plan for the upcoming week along with a photo of my groceries and a tally of my spending. My goal is to spend $100/week for our food, toiletries, and cleaning products. I’m currently in the midst of trying to buy more local, sustainably-produced food while sticking to my budget. Can it be done? I don’t know, but I’m going to try, and I’ll share what I learn as I go along.
Today I am making a cinnamon coffeecake for this morning’s prayer meeting, communion bread for church, two cheesecakes, pizza for tonight’s dinner, and a big pan of stuffed shells.
I’m thinking there’ll be some dishes to wash tonight.
I went to Weis and Aldi this week for a usual grocery shopping trip. I spent $94.41 at Aldi and $61.60 at Weis. And earlier in the week, I made a quick stop at Aldi and spent $16.64. So, my two-week total is $172.65, which is comfortably under my $200 goal.
Of course, you want to see what we bought, right?
This produce and the tp wouldn’t fit on the counter, so they get their own photo.
Here’s what I’m making for dinner with my groceries (lunches and breakfasts are included in my budget but I don’t have time at the moment to write about what we’re eating because I have a bazillion things to do today! More about lunches and breakfasts in an upcoming FAQ post.)
- Pizza. I’m trying a crust recipe and am using the recommended bread flour, which I almost never do. I’m curious to see what difference it’ll make!
Sunday -a bunch o’ in-laws are coming for a multi-birthday celebration (we’re celebrating 6 birthdays, I think!), so we’re eating a little differently than we usually do on Sundays.
- Stuffed Shells (this is a favorite of 4/6 birthday people!)
- french bread
- green salad
- Cherry Cheesecake
- Chocolate Cheesecake (assuming I have time to make two cheesecakes today)
- Chicken Tortellini Salad
- Whole Wheat Rolls
- Shrimp Burgers (yup, these got bumped AGAIN)
- potato cubes
- green beans
- Chili Verde (also bumped. Last week didn’t quite go according to plan!)
- spinach salad
- probably some kind of bread. I just haven’t decided what!
- Asian-Glazed Tilapia
- green beans
- Takeout date night for Mr. FG and me, something easy/leftovers for the kids
I might be back tomorrow to publish the FAQ post (assuming it’s ready to go), but if not, I’ll see you on Monday!
Today’s 365 post: Flour bags this size always crack me up
Joshua’s 365 post:A sledding quartet