Wednesday Baking | Garlic Knots

by Kristen on September 8, 2010 · 19 comments

in Recipes, Wednesday Baking, Yeast Bread

Every Wednesday (ok, most Wednesdays!) I share a baking recipe. And lots of pictures of said baking recipe. I don’t call this Wednesday Baking because I bake solely on Wednesdays…no, my oven gets a workout much more frequently than once a week! Wednesday just happens to be the day I share baking recipes with you. All the past baking posts are archived in the Wednesday Baking category, which can also be found in a tab underneath my blog header.

Garlic knots, from what I gather, are a pizzeria specialty, but I’ve actually never had them in a pizzeria. I heard about them from a co-worker of my husband’s who wanted to know if I’d ever made them. Always up for a baking challenge, I did a google search and came up with a recipe from Epicurious.

Because I’ve never had the real thing, I haven’t the faintest idea about how authentic-tasting these are, but I can tell you that if you like garlic, you’ll probably like these!

The recipe calls for 2 pounds of pizza dough, so you can use the pre-made refrigerated sort or you can make your own. As you may have guessed, I make my own. ;) Any basic pizza dough, like this one, will work fine.

2 pounds of pizza dough makes a lot of garlic knots, so if your family isn’t enormous, you may want to halve the recipe.

Before you start shaping the knots, turn your oven on to 400° F so that it will be nice and hot when your knots are ready.

There are two different ways to shape the knots, but for either method, you’ll need to divide the pizza dough in half.

For the first method, roll half of the dough out to a 10×10 inch square.

Using a pizza cutter, cut the dough in half down the middle and then cut each half into strips.

Tie each strip into a knot and place into a greased baking sheet. When I use this method, I find that I have to dust each strip with a fair amount of flour just to make it manageable, so I’m not really a big fan.

I prefer to cut the chunk of dough into 20 or so pieces and roll each piece into a snake-like shape before tying it into a knot. It’s less frustrating and less sticky for me!

Bake the knots in the preheated oven for 15-18 minutes, or until they’re lightly browned. While the knots are baking, mince some fresh garlic and mash it together with salt to make a paste. Stir in olive oil (or butter or another fat that you like).

When the knots have finished baking, toss them with the garlic mixture in a large bowl. A lidded bowl works great for this because you can just shake the bowl until the knots are all coated.

If you’ve got fresh parsley and Parmesan cheese around, sprinkle both on top of the knots and toss the knots again to coat them.

I happened to be completely out of Parmesan cheese this go-round and I only had dried parsley. Hopefully you’ll be better prepared than I was! ;)

Fortunately, these are still really yummy even without the Parmesan cheese. ;)

Garlic Knots
printable version from Epicurious

2 tablespoons olive oil plus additional for greasing pan
2 lb frozen pizza dough, thawed
1 garlic clove
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 oz Parmigiano-Reggiano, finely grated (1/2 cup)

Put oven racks in upper and lower thirds of oven and preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly oil 2 large (17- by 13-inch) baking sheets.

Divide dough in half. Keep half of dough covered with a clean kitchen towel (not terry cloth). Gently roll out other half into a 10-inch square on a lightly floured surface with a lightly floured rolling pin. (Use your hands to pull corners. If dough is very elastic, cover with a clean kitchen towel and let rest about 3 minutes.)

Cut square in half with a pizza wheel or a sharp heavy knife, then cut each half crosswise into 15 strips (about 2/3 inch wide). Cover strips with a clean kitchen towel.

Keeping remaining strips covered, gently tie each strip into a knot, pulling ends slightly to secure (if dough is sticky, dust lightly with flour) and arranging knots 1 inch apart in staggered rows on 1 baking sheet. Keep knots covered with clean kitchen towels.

Roll out and cut remaining dough, then form into knots, arranging 1 inch apart in staggered rows on second baking sheet.

(or cut dough into 40 pieces, roll each into a pencil-like shape and tie each into a knot)

Bake, switching position of sheets halfway through baking, until golden, 15-18 minutes total.

While knots bake, mince garlic and mash to a paste with salt, then stir together with oil in a very large bowl. Immediately after baking, toss knots in garlic oil, then sprinkle with parsley and cheese and toss to coat. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Today’s 365 post: I guess I haven’t swept for a while.

Current giveaway post: Want to know how I did? (multitudinous photos included!)

1 Nancy September 8, 2010 at 9:28 am

i’ve had these at a local pizzeria before and i was not a fan. yours look much better!

2 jewels k September 8, 2010 at 10:39 am

we have a local pizza shop that make these (they are actually friends of ours). i love them. i think i’ll have to try to make these ;)

3 Sandy September 8, 2010 at 10:49 am

Oh, those look yummy. I’ll be trying those soon.
I think that Wednesday Baking is by far my favorite topic on your blog. In fact, I have your french bread rising on the counter right now!

I have a question about a dough recipe. I have several recipes that call for crescent rolls…..basically, you roll them out to form a crust. Things like taco ring, meat pie, apple dumplings and wrapping them around little smokies for “pigs in a blanket”. Do you have a universal dough recipe that I could substitute for those rolls…which are pretty pricey?

Thanks for all of your recipes…I’ve printed most of them :)

4 WilliamB September 8, 2010 at 4:27 pm

Commercial crescent rolls, such as you buy in a tube, are biscuits (often extra flaky ones) cut into triangles and rolled up. You can use biscuit dough any time crescent rolls are called for. For some, including meat pies and apple dumplings, you can use pie crust.

If you want extra flaky rolls, then
1. Make your dough
2. Roll it into a rectangle
3. Spread 2/3 with extra butter, crisco, lard
4. Fold unbuttered side over onto buttered side (it’ll go halfway across the buttered side), fold second buttered side on top of unbuttered side, press together; this is like folding a letter and creates dough layered with butta.
5. Chill (very important!)
6. Roll out again.

When making flaky pastry this is called a “fold.” The more you fold the flakier your product will be. The trick is to keep the fat cold so it doesn’t melt into the flour but instead creates little layers of fat. These melt in the oven, creating air pockets surrounded by fat, which is what layers are.

5 Sandy September 8, 2010 at 10:10 pm

Wow, thank you so much for replying and being so informative. I didn’t know they were biscuits! I’ve printed your recipe and can’t wait to try it as well.

Thanks again,
Sandy :)

6 WilliamB September 10, 2010 at 9:54 am

This is how puff pastry is made. I bet there are a vast array of videos on YouTube if you want a video tutorial.

Have fun! It’s time consuming but a lot easier than one might think. The key is to keep the fat cold! Fancy chefs use a marble board and marble rolling pin, putting them in the fridge to chill before using. Normal people buy a board that fits their fridge; Julia Child supposedly bought a fridge that fit her board.

7 Rose@imafrugalgirl.com September 8, 2010 at 12:02 pm

Oh my goodness these will be great with spaghetti! Thanks for sharing!

8 Amanda Y. September 8, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Garlic knots very A LOT when you get them out. A favorite sit-down italian restaurant of ours has awesome ones, with lots of fresh garlic, served complementary like chips & salsa at a mexican restaurant, however it’s too expensive to eat there often. The pizzeria garlic knots usually have jarred garlic or powdered stuff, which has no flavor to me–so I am SOOOO very excited that you posted a recipe to do these. With your pictures and tips, I think I can actually make these. (Before they seemed to scary/complicated, I’ve never been very good at cooking, but I’m trying…in my attempt to eat more real and healthy foods).

9 GC September 8, 2010 at 2:37 pm

sigh
looks soooo yummy
and I do love garlic
pizzerias around here make them way too salty
there’s no excuse for me not making my own

10 Alea September 8, 2010 at 3:36 pm

I am going to try doing this with my gluten-free pizza dough. My kids will love it!

11 Rebecca September 8, 2010 at 9:23 pm

GF dough is often too soft to roll out, but with mine I take little balls of dough and dip them in a mix of melted butter, garlic, salt and oregano, then put all the balls in a tube pan and bake. Kinda like monkey bread, but savory, not sweet.

12 Tighwad Mom September 8, 2010 at 4:31 pm

What a yummy recipe! I just stumbled across your blog, and I love it . It is nice to find a fellow frugalista!

13 Christie September 8, 2010 at 10:33 pm

FANTASTIC recipe, was SUCH a hit with my whole family. My 4 yr old son proclaimed they are better than chocolate cake (BOLD statement from the cake king himself) and my husband, who grew up in the Bronx, said they were the best garlic knots he has ever eaten! Thank you so much!!!! Love your blog, you rock!

14 Mary September 8, 2010 at 10:37 pm

These look fantastic! I wonder could you make something like this as a dessert with cinnamon sugar topping? Hmm…

15 momcents September 9, 2010 at 12:04 am

I’m originally from NY and cannot find a decent garlic knot in my current home of California to save my life. Whenever I visit back east, I eat way more garlic knots than are good for me. I think I’ll have to give this recipe a shot, as my husband has asked at least a dozen times if I know how to make garlic knots.

16 Kim September 9, 2010 at 7:43 am

I made these last night to go along with our homemade pizza. They were a big hit with my husband and kids and they all requested leftovers in their lunch boxes. Thanks!

17 Heidi September 9, 2010 at 7:11 pm

oh. my. goodness. These were awesome. Garlic is its own food group. Nice one!

18 Molly C. September 16, 2010 at 6:58 am

Good morning! I’d like to make these but at two separate times today. I’d make the dough in the morning. I’d take one-half of the dough, twist them into knots, season and bake. They are going to be part of a meal that I’m preparing for someone and I’ll need to bake them before driving across town. The other half of the dough is for my family. Should I refrigerate dough and then tonight before dinner, remove from fridge, bring to room temp, and continue to proceed with recipe? The second batch of knots from the refrigerated dough should rise up fine, right? Crescent rolls do, the ones in the can, from the store. Thanks!

19 Kristen September 16, 2010 at 8:53 am

Yes, just keep the dough in the fridge until you want to use it. You’ll want to give it a little bit of time to warm up out of the fridge, but other than needing some time to warm up, it should behave like usual.