Cereal Deal at Safeway

by Kristen on April 16, 2010 · 15 comments

in Deal Alerts

Though I am not about to become a deal blogger (I find that sort of blogging to be exhausting!), every now and then I like to alert you to a particularly good deal that I see.

When I looked at my Safeway ad this morning, I noticed that Cheerios are on sale right now. The Cheerios are $1.50/box when you buy 5 of them, and on coupons.com, there’s a printable coupon for $1/2 General Mills cereals. So, you could get 5 boxes for $5.50.

Fortunately for me, in addition to the $1/2 coupons, I have a $.75/one box of Cheerios coupon, so my total for 5 boxes will be $4.75.

This is probably not worth going far out of your way, but if you happen to be near a Safeway, you might want to stop in. I’ll be driving right by one this afternoon, and I will only have one kid with me, so I’m going to pop in and get some cereal.

This not be quite as cheap as oatmeal, homemade muffins or granola, or other non-cereal breakfast options, but if you’re like me, you like to have a few boxes of cereal around as backup for those mornings when you haven’t managed to pull anything else together. And as cereals go, Cheerios is one of the healthier options.

p.s. The link to the coupons is an affiliate link, which means that when you use that link to print out coupons, Coupons.com gives me a small commission. If you’d rather not do that, you can just go straight to coupons.com and print that way! And of course, you should know that I only ever share coupons and deals with you that I think are worth it…you’ll never see me touting a bottled water deal or a disposable Scrubbing Bubbles coupon deal. ;)

1 Erika April 16, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Good deal! I just got two large boxes of Rice Crispies for $.75 each. They were originally $2.99, and then BOGO free, and then I had a coupon for $1.50 off two.

When I unpacked them my boyfriend looked at me like I had gone crazy, since we’re trying to eat healthy and Rice Crispies aren’t all that healthful. But then I explained that I was going to make Rice Crispy treats to take to his family’s cottage where we were going to be doing work so we’d have some snacks, and said I could make a batch for probably about $2. And that I could do that when we want to bring snacks elsewhere. Made more sense to him at that point!

2 Erika April 16, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Whoops – Should have mentioned this was at PriceChopper (in MA).

3 Amy April 16, 2010 at 12:59 pm

it totally figures that they’d be running an awesome deal on cereal this week. i have a ton of family coming in (read: CEREAL MORNINGS!) next week and could use a deal like that. however, we just moved out of the “safeway area.” blah.

i’m glad you caught a good deal though!

4 LenciB April 16, 2010 at 1:23 pm

unfortunately I don’t live anywhere near Safeway!!!!

5 Laurie April 16, 2010 at 1:25 pm

My local Strack and Van til (IN) just ran a sale for 5 for $5. Not just on cereal but you could choose from granola bars and oatmeal as well. Couldn’t pass this up. Maybe there will be “cereal price wars” and we will continue to get good deals.

6 Blond Duck April 16, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Popped in to say hi! I love your food waste Fridays. It’s nice to know I’m not the only one who hates wasting food!

7 Michelle K April 16, 2010 at 6:01 pm

Our Safeway store (VONS) doesn’t allow you to use more than one coupon per purchase. So, it’s kind of a bummer when I have a bunch of Cheerios coupons to use and a 13 month old who gobbles them up like it’s air! :)

8 Kristen April 17, 2010 at 7:45 am

Seriously? That’s crazy! All my stores allow you to use one per purchase (which means individual purchases…5 boxes of cereal is 5 purchases).

9 Laura April 16, 2010 at 8:50 pm

Stopped by Safeway today to pick up some tortillas, had coupons so looked at the cereal but my daughter asked, “do we really need it?” (the girls almost never eat cereal) so I decided not to buy any! It was very unusual for me to pass up a good deal like this, but we really don’t need it so I didn’t get it! Maybe I am finally getting it.

10 Elizabeth R April 17, 2010 at 5:52 am

Actually, your $.75 coupon should double to make your total even less! Unless it’s one of those mean “Do not double” coupons.

11 Kristen April 17, 2010 at 7:43 am

I just looked at my receipt, and you’re right! Yay!

12 laura April 17, 2010 at 7:01 am

i had to comment on this! i had .75 off coupons and my Safeway doubles them (and doesn’t limit the number per purchase. AND if you bought five boxes the price per box of cheerios went down to $1.50 per box. yup, you guessed it! FREE!!! unfortunately i only had 3 coupons with me but 5 boxes for $3.00 wasn’t bad at all!!

13 Kristen April 17, 2010 at 7:44 am

Oooh, that IS awesome!

14 Alice April 19, 2010 at 8:32 pm

I love how you felt morally bound to inform us of the small commission you would receive through the link! I can’t believe anyone here would deny you the small bit you would receive. In fact, I think most of us would embrace it! Thank you for sharing your life and and your frugal ideas with us. It is so wonderful to read about people living such a warm and wholesome life.

15 Elizabeth November 23, 2011 at 2:28 pm

I’d love to have a copy f this cookbook!