Want to see my new black nightstands?

by Kristen on March 10, 2009 · 91 comments

in DIY, freecycle, Green and Frugal, Home Decorating, Painting

I’m finally finished painting the two nightstands that I bought at Goodwill recently, so I thought I’d share pictures.

First, here’s what our old Ikea nightstands looked like. We had two, and this one was in the best shape. The other one came from an antique store(I know…what kind of antique store sells Ikea furniture??) and it was in far worse condition than this one.

img_1810-1

img_1814

Here’s what the Goodwill nightstands looked like when I got them.
img_1080

img_1794

And here’s one prepped for priming.

img_1795

Ta-dah! No more Ikea nightstands! In fact, there’s no more Ikea furniture in my bedroom. I feel very grown-up now.

img_2415

img_2419

Ahhh, much better.

img_2430

You can see a picture of the grain on the top in this post(it’s the last picture).

In case you’re interested, the two Ikea nightstands now reside in my son’s room, where they hold toys. The toys used to be held by a flimsier plastic three-drawer contraption, so this is a definite improvement. The Ikea nightstands are sturdy, and I couldn’t care less if the kids abuse them(which they will, of course).

The three drawer plastic unit is now in my crawlspace, where it’s being used to organize all my gift wrapping supplies. They used to all be mixed together in a cardboard box, and it was nigh onto impossible to find anything. Now everything is neat and accessible.

Thanks to all of this rearranging, nothing was thrown away except for a cardboard box(which was recycled, of course). However, I do still have the old hardware from the nightstands that I need to deal with…I’m going to offer them on Freecycle, and hopefully someone will want them so that I don’t have to throw them away.

So, I currently have no painting projects waiting for me, which is a nice feeling. Actually, scratch that…I do plan to paint my son’s bed at some point. It’s wooden and I painted it white when he was small. Now that he’s going on ten, however, I think a black bed would be more appropriate. Plus a black bed would match his black dresser and his (new to him) black nightstands better. I’m sort of burnt out on painting for the moment, though, so I think that project will wait until late spring or early summer.

1 Stacey March 10, 2009 at 4:47 pm

Hooray! They look really fantastic! Congratulations! I have never in my life wanted to redo furniture, but now I am looking at the chest of drawers in my bedroom and thinking, hmm…

2 Kristen March 10, 2009 at 4:54 pm

It’s kind of addicting, I have to admit. Once I did my first piece last spring, I was hooked. And once you do one piece, you look at all sorts of furniture with new eyes! lol

3 Movingonup! March 10, 2009 at 5:06 pm

They look very nice. Just like Pottery Barn.

4 Christina March 10, 2009 at 5:54 pm

Another option for the old nightstand hardware is to donate it to your local Habitat for Humanity. Here, H for H has a store that sells hardware, furniture, and other home building/improvement materials.

5 jill March 10, 2009 at 6:24 pm

The new nightstand looks so classy after the makeover! They did a similar thing on some old furniture on Better Homes and Gardens (a home improvement show here) and it really makes you see the potential of old furniture!

6 Kristin @ klingtocash March 10, 2009 at 6:57 pm

Awesome job! The nightstand looks fantastic.

7 CanadianSaver March 10, 2009 at 7:12 pm

Very, very nice!! I love your bedroom color too :-)

8 Jill March 10, 2009 at 7:50 pm

Kristen,
You never cease to amaze me! :-) I just got an amazing Craigs List find that I’m going to blog about hopefully tomorrow! It’s right up your alley! :-)

9 Jenny March 10, 2009 at 9:05 pm

awesome!! I am so impressed with your stuff

10 Shasta March 10, 2009 at 9:52 pm

Wow, what a difference!! I love them, you do such an awesome job! I wish I had the motivation to fix up some of our furniture.

11 Frugal Dreamer March 10, 2009 at 11:53 pm

They look fantastic!!!!

12 Julia March 11, 2009 at 9:24 am

It looks terrific, very professional. If this whole mothering/ homeschooling/blogging thing doesn’t work out for you (tee-hee), you can always start up a freelance furniture painting company. :-)
I’m sitting here at a vintage 2002 Ikea computer armoire . It’s knotty pine and I’ve always hated it, we bought it because it was the only one with doors that hid my husband’s mess. Maybe this is the year I’ll finally paint it, black would make it so beautiful!

13 Tina March 11, 2009 at 10:31 am

What a transformation! I’m on a mission to redo my entire bedroom over the next couple of weeks, including painting my bedroom furniture black. You’ve inspired me! Thanks to your wonderful how-to post a couple of weeks ago…I think I can actually do it!

14 mo March 12, 2009 at 8:36 am

they look seriously good. I have a chest of drawers i bought with the intention of painting them. I cant wait til summer now (its an outside job!) I think I will copy your method. but not colour. we have a seaside, white n wooden type of place. thanks for the inspiration

15 Kristen March 12, 2009 at 8:41 am

Thanks, everyone! :)

Julia, I don’t know if I like painting enough to do it for a job! lol

I bet your armoire would look beautiful in black. It’s amazing what black paint can do to furniture. Oh, and new hardware too…brushed nickel hardware makes a world of difference.

Mo-I’ve done white paint a lot too. I painted a white dresser and nightstand for my youngest daughter’s room, and I also did a white dresser and nightstand as a gift for my sister-in-law. Oh, and I painted a toy chest white too.

16 Mary Ellie Fuentes March 12, 2009 at 1:34 pm

Kristin,

I must say you are incredibly talented!!! You do a fantastic job!!!!!

Ellie

17 Tina of Pfeiffer Photos April 25, 2009 at 5:04 pm

This is exactly what I’ll be doing to my nightstands soon–what kind of paint did you use? Great blog, just discovered you today!

18 Erika July 14, 2009 at 4:49 pm

Kristen,
Wow, you are amazing! I just discovered this site and am totally feeling inspired to paint my daughter’s dressers instead of buying new ones! Her furniture is from a cheaper line, I believe it’s made out of solid wood & MDF, veneer tops.

Would you sand it all down, even the tops that are fake wood?
I would like to paint them a black color like yours. Would you mind telling me what exact products you used for primer, paint, etc? I am totally lost in the hardware store and picking this stuff out!

I would really appreciate it!
Thanks :0)

19 Angelq November 20, 2009 at 4:00 pm

Kristen,
The tops of these nightstands are so reflective. Is that just the paint finish (semi-gloss) or did you add a top coat after painting. And do you sand after each coat of paint?

Thanks!

20 Ellen January 8, 2010 at 2:44 am

Black furniture is so pretty. Most of mine is white, but I sure love an occasional piece of black! I love the red wall too. Your have very pretty ideas. Thanks!

21 Linda January 19, 2010 at 1:30 am

Hi yes, If you could please let me know the paint, and varnish, and the kind of brushes you used, that would be much appreciated. I’m going to attempted to get this same look. You have done an amazing job. Thanks
Linda

22 Kellee June 24, 2010 at 5:34 pm

I am about to attemp almost the exact same thing this weekend!!! Wish me luck!

23 Katy Wolk-Stanley September 25, 2010 at 8:43 pm

I am reading all your painting posts, as I need to paint a garbage picked nightstand to get the spare bedroom ready for the Japanese teacher who will be living with us for the next six months.

Can’t have the room looking poorly.

Kristen would not approve. ;-)

-Katy Wolk-Stanley
“Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without”

24 Elaine October 30, 2010 at 8:38 pm

Just found your website tonight and I’m very excited about painting some old small tables I have. I’ve done some refinishing in the past, working with stains, but I haven’t really painted any furniture. Love what you did with the nightstands. You’ve got me re-examining pieces I was going to give away and imagining how I can bring them back to life! I’ll let you know how my first piece comes out following your instructions.

25 sheila December 21, 2010 at 8:24 pm

Would you beleive I found the exact same night stands at the salvation army ? I know it is many years later but could you tell me what you did with the holes left by the old hardware. Did you use wood filler or spackel.
Each pull had two holes and like you I would like to have one hole per pull centered.

26 andrea February 7, 2011 at 6:14 pm

I too am interested in how you filled the holes from the old hardware. I’m about to paint our bedroom furniture black & not only can’t find the size hardware to fit, but I’d love knobs like on your nightstands also.

Thanks!

27 Kristen February 7, 2011 at 7:49 pm

I used lightweight spackle. First I took paper shreds, crumpled them up, and stuck them into the hole. Then I spackled both sides of the holes, sanded, spackled again, and so on, until the holes were flush with the rest of the drawer.

28 carol February 26, 2011 at 5:48 pm

I can’t wait to try painting my kitchen set black. I found a black/brown that looks interesting Ralph Lauren Turret Stair. My question is do i need to do anything special to the top of the kitchen table so it can withstand the normal wear and tear.

29 Kaybee01 May 2, 2011 at 7:20 pm

How did the Turret Stair colour turn out? I want to paint a desk and I wanted something that is black/brown.

30 Kaybee01 March 6, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Are there different shades of black that you’ve used or is it just “black”??

31 Anita March 23, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Hi, Your furniture looks fabulous, but I’d like to know what color/ brand you used on the red walls???

32 Kristen March 23, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Sure! It’s the Behr paint in the flattest sheen available, and the color is Red Red Wine (doesn’t that name make you want to sing? lol).

33 Lara May 1, 2011 at 9:53 pm

Thanks so much for your tutorials! I’m getting ready to do some furniture for my daughter’s room. I noticed you switched the pulls on this nightstand to knobs. Do you drill a single knob hole between the two holes that were for the pulls? Do you use wood filler to plug up the holes left from the pulls? Thanks for helping!

34 Kristen May 2, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Yep, that’s exactly what I did. :)

35 Melissa June 13, 2011 at 11:49 pm

Thank you so much for sharing! Have you ever put a finish on top of you paint, like polyurethane? I am painting a table which will get a lot of wear n tear (kids) and im worried about chipping or the paint coming off when its cleaned a lot.

36 carol June 15, 2011 at 4:26 pm

I did use a polyurehhane (satin). so glad i did. looks great and i am sure it will help my table and chairs hold up to frequent use.

37 Robert Rajotte July 15, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Thanks for posting this. I am about to try painting a piece of furniture for the first time and looked on the web for some ‘how-to’. It is an old piece of furniture with a formica top and I had no idea of how to deal with the formica or what paint to use. Now I do.
Thanks again…

38 Lisa Parent September 2, 2011 at 8:52 am

Kristen,

I’m looking to paint my daughets dresser black however, i’m a little concerned. Most of the dresser is a weird grain plastic feeling top kinda feels like formica and the top drawers have a wicker look on them. How would you address the wicker part of the drawers?

39 Kristen September 2, 2011 at 8:54 am

I wouldn’t worry about sanding the wicker part…just spray with the primer and then I might try to spray paint that part instead of brushing the paint on.

For a formica top, just scuff it up with a sander, spray on the primer, and brush on the paint. It’s worked fine for me!

40 Diana September 8, 2011 at 1:23 am

I would love to repaint a beautiful and pricey Crate & Barrel dresser from black to espresso to match the baby crib. However, due to the value of the piece I prefer to hire someone. Is there anyone you could recommend, or recommend how to go about finding someone…
Thanks!

41 Kristen September 8, 2011 at 6:05 am

Gosh, I don’t know! Maybe google furniture refinishers in your area?

42 Betulia September 8, 2011 at 10:49 am

Hi!
I’m planning to repaint my old kitchen table. It it now used as a computer table in our living room. I was thinking black. I usually shop at Home Depot. Can you please give me some color names. That is always my biggest dilema. Getting the color right. Love your site!
Thanks :)

43 Kristen September 8, 2011 at 2:14 pm

I’ve just used plain old black and white Painter’s Touch paint. Make sure you get the kind I pictured in my how to paint post!

44 carol September 8, 2011 at 5:09 pm

i used Behr Mouse Ears. It is from the Disney collection. It is a great pure black. Have received so many comments on how good it looks!

45 Amanda October 14, 2011 at 12:56 pm

I am going to redo some furniture tomorrow. On my current dresser the metal around the knobs is very large. How does that work if you want to put new, smaller knobs on the drawers? I haven’t tried taking one off yet. What do you do if there are extra holes?

46 Kristen October 17, 2011 at 7:38 am

If there are extra holes in the drawer, I fill them (I crumple up shredded paper, stuff it into the hole, and fill both sides with wood filler or lightweight spackle..it may take several applications).

47 Alex Deza November 5, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Im a college student and want some new furniture for my room. However, even Ikea seems pricey after paying off my classes. Now, from a males point of view, you have inspired me to give painting a try.Thanks

48 yEllOwBiRd December 2, 2011 at 6:29 pm

Beautiful job! I’m about to start my first project and feel confident after seeing how easy you made it look. Do you use any paint/varnish stripper before sanding?

49 Debbie F February 2, 2012 at 12:58 am

I LOVE LOVE LOVE how awesome the refaced furniture looks…but I’m more fascinated by your red walls. WHAT is that color???

I bought a rancher and I want ONE accent wall–red with black furniture. I’m ALSO spray painting my wrought iron bed!!

Please let me know!!

50 Kristen February 2, 2012 at 10:44 am

It’s a Behr paint and the color is Red, Red Wine. :)

51 Susan March 30, 2012 at 4:08 am

What did you do to get rid of the extra holes from the old hardware?

52 Susan March 30, 2012 at 5:29 am

Nevermind! I see your answer to someone else above. :)

53 lance July 5, 2012 at 1:35 am

I have just finished a dresser in black. Do you Need to apply a finishing coat over the black paint. It looks like it might leave fingerprints.

54 Kristen July 7, 2012 at 1:16 pm

I haven’t, but if it’s going to get a lot of traffic, I’d apply a coat of varnish.

55 Kathy July 18, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Thanks for all the tips. Wondering if you can tell me how you go from hardware with two holes drilled for each handle to the single pull knobs which I assume need one hole centered for each? Do you fill the holes? What with?
Thanks in advance!

56 Kristen July 19, 2012 at 9:51 am

Sure-I stuffed paper shreds in the existing holes, filled both sides with spackle, sanded, spackled again, and then painted. And then I drilled a new hole for the single pull.

57 Lydia August 14, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Hi,I have sanded and primed, 2 tables.I sanded the primer to a very sooth finish, useing an oil base. Went to paint with a water base paint. Very drippy not sticking to the table. Can I use oil primer with a water base paint?
Thanks Lydia

58 Kristen August 14, 2012 at 3:47 pm

I’ve always thought that you can do it that way, but not the other way around. I don’t know why it’s not working for you!

59 Megan August 27, 2012 at 10:29 pm

Hi Kristen,
I have been inspired by your frugal girl website to refinish my own piece of furniture. I have read the steps a hundred times it seems and they seem straightforward until you actually settle down to start the project lol. I purchased my inexpensive cabinet on Kijiji which is a local site where people sell their old furniture. Sanding was a huge thing! Thinking I had to get every single piece of stain off but once I mastered the sanding, I thought geez easy sailing, until I got to the next step priming. I purchased a can of primer instead of the spray but now I’m thinking the spray would be easier to get into the smaller knoks and crannies. Once I had it primed, I was pretty impressed since this was my first piece I’ve ever primed. Then I had to paint and I just cannot get a seamless finish that you seem to achieve. If you have any advice I am all ears! The steps make it sound so easy until you actually get to that next step.
Megan

60 Kristen August 27, 2012 at 10:55 pm

Yes! The spray primer is much easier to use. But that’s advice a little too late. You can file it away for next time, though. ;)

If you’re having trouble with getting a smooth finish, try stirring a little bit of paint thinner into the paint. The last can I bought seemed to be thicker than before, so I thinned it and had much better results. I’m not sure if they changed the formula of the paint or what.

Using long strokes and painting VERY thin coats is also key.

Hang in there…this takes some practice to get just right.

61 Joyce September 26, 2012 at 12:26 am

I have oak cabinets that arn’t the best and I would like to paint them black. What is the easiet way to go about getting them ready to paint. I think I would like to be able to see the grain, but smooth would also be ok. I think paint really changes things and I am so excited to paint my cabinets. I am also going to paint my counter tops to look like granite. Paint changes the world. Thank you.

62 Kristen September 26, 2012 at 7:47 am

Here are my painting directions. Hope they help! http://www.thefrugalgirl.com/2009/03/how-to-paint-wooden-furniture/

63 April September 28, 2012 at 11:51 am

Where do you get your hardware for these painting projects? They look fantastic, and I’ve been looking for some like them at a reasonable cost. Thanks! BTW- Your projects look fantastic!!

64 Kristen September 28, 2012 at 12:02 pm

I usually look around at Home Depot or Lowes if I need new hardware. Home Depot has some nice multipacks that are handy if you need, say, new pulls for a tall boy dresser.

And thank you!

65 Elizabeth October 21, 2012 at 9:30 pm

I am so thrilled to read this information. I have tried painting furniture before and have done everything wrong-thick coats and sponge rollers. I can hardly wait to help some of my old furniture although my husband cringes when I speak of painting the wooden furniture. I have some of that Ikea furniture but would like to keep it. The cabinet seems to have a thin layer of wood. Should I paint it the same as described by you? I also have some crappy furniture that has a manufacture finish on it and it is not wood. What would you suggest? Thanks for the great iformaiotn. Sincerely Elizabeth

66 Kristen October 22, 2012 at 3:50 pm

With a thin layer of wood, you should just be able to follow the instructions here.

With the junky furniture, it’s harder to say. If you sand it, just do it very lightly-enough to scuff up the surface. The finish probably won’t hold up as well as it will on real wooden furniture, but hey, if you hate the way it looks now, painting it is worth a try!

67 Lynn Elder-Blau November 4, 2012 at 2:36 pm

You do an exceptional job and I LOVE your blog! I write a blog also and would like to place your website address on it for others to read, if that is okay with you. My blog is as follows:

Until I hear back from you, I will not post it.

Thank you!!!

Lynn
Leoti, Kansas

68 Kristen November 4, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Goodness, yes…that’s totally fine! But thanks for asking. :)

69 Shelly December 19, 2012 at 9:15 am

I love the look of the two nightstands you painted!
I have 2 bookcases I want to take from finished wood to black like yours.
Please tell me what you did…
Did you sand well or just enough to remove the shine?
Or, did you just use a deglosser?
Did you prime? With what brand and was it white or dark?
What brand and color did you use to paint the nightstands?
Did you use a top coat for shine? And if so, which one?
This will be a big job for me, so I’d really appreciate your help! Thanks! Shelly

70 Kristen December 19, 2012 at 1:20 pm

I outlined all my steps in this post: http://www.thefrugalgirl.com/2009/03/how-to-paint-wooden-furniture/

Hope it helps!

71 Marie! January 16, 2013 at 3:17 pm

Thanks so much for the info. I restained and varnished my dining room table and am now ready to paint every piece of furniture in my house. I bought a large book shelf from goodwill and am going to paint it granny smith apple green for my dining room. I can’t wait till it gets a bit warmer so I can get started in the garage. I’m in VA so it won’t be too long till I we have some warmer weather!

72 Jackie June 8, 2013 at 10:34 am

What is the best black paint colour for a dresser?

73 Kristen June 8, 2013 at 5:52 pm

I use Rustoleum’s semi-gloss black. Here are all the details about how I paint my furniture: http://www.thefrugalgirl.com/2009/03/how-to-paint-wooden-furniture/

74 bobby June 22, 2013 at 1:30 pm

if you buy a brand new nightstand 2 nightstands to be exact in there chestnut do you have to sand new nightstands or because ther new can you just paint over themyou did a beautiful job…..when I purchased my black bedroom set the black nightstand were discountinued so I had to go with chesntut with hopes of getting them done in black

75 Kristen June 23, 2013 at 9:36 pm

I wish I could save you the work of sanding, but I’m sorry to say that you’d have to sand them even if they’re new, because an unsanded finish will be too shiny to hold the paint properly.

76 Juju September 12, 2013 at 11:01 am

Just curious, the original handle had two holes, correct? The newly painted nightstand has only one pull (one screw needed not two like the original). Just wondering if you filled in the other hole or left it open. Hope this makes sense!

77 Kristen September 12, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Yep, I filled in both holes and drilled a new one in the middle!

78 VANESSA M October 23, 2013 at 1:50 pm

HI!

I was wondering, in your ready for primer photo, it looks like the flat spaces are sanded thoroughly and the edges with details are just lightly sanded. Am i correct? I have a dry sink that I would like to turn into a bar and have sanded all the flat surfaces but the detailed edges are driving me nuts. Is a light sanding on these areas enough?

I was originally going to re-stain because i like the wood grain look but yours look great!

79 Kristen October 23, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Yup, I never get down to the bare wood in the details…it just takes way too long and is too hard. I just try to get the shine off of those parts and call it good!

80 Anya November 8, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Boy, am I glad to have stumbled upon your website. I am basically a DIY person, and always wanted, among the other things, to paint furniture. It’s like a face-lift for your room. I just love changeovers.

Your site is very inspiring. The bedroom colors are awesome.

81 Art M. March 11, 2014 at 2:15 pm

Thanks for the step by step! This was extremely well done. I have two night stands that need this sort of work and this was a great How To. :)

82 Anna March 11, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Kristin dear, what a great job you’ve done!

Would you mind to share how did you prime it, did you use just any latex primer? Then patched the holes you didn’t need any longer? (from the existing hardware) And what kind of paint? Looks terrific!

I have a limited experience painting walls but not furniture, at least not yet. This remains on my list of the next projects. Yours is very inspiring.

Thank you.

83 Kristen March 11, 2014 at 5:36 pm
84 Kristen March 11, 2014 at 5:36 pm

Oh, and yes, I did just patch the holes I didn’t need.

85 Anna March 11, 2014 at 6:16 pm

Never mind, I scrolled up and found the answers to my questions.

86 Katie Sainsbury June 18, 2014 at 1:59 pm

Love this painted furniture so going to start having a go. Thank you, I will follow your methods, it all looks great and I can’t wait to get started

87 Mary Leber August 5, 2014 at 2:29 pm

What color and kind of black paint did you use?.

88 Kristen August 5, 2014 at 4:39 pm

Here’s a post all about my method and supplies! http://www.thefrugalgirl.com/2009/03/how-to-paint-wooden-furniture/

89 Deanne October 3, 2014 at 5:51 pm

I see you now have done both white and black painted versions of dressers. I am faced right now with the dilemma of painting dressers either white or black. If you had to do it all over again would you still paint them white or black and why? Which ones held up better and you still like better? Thanks : )

90 Kristen October 4, 2014 at 8:45 am

For my room, I definitely like the black, as my walls are a wine color. But for all of my girls, I really think white looks best with their lighter walls. It really all depends on the other colors in the room.